M49 with Tab Funkenwerk body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott_humphrey

I built an M49-style mic recently with metalwork from Oliver at Tab Funkenwerk:

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

closeup3.jpg

Capsule is a BeesNeez K7. I used a 6947 tube. O.K., now that I've purchase enough of these tubes to last me the rest of my days, I'll let the cat out of the bag:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/6/6947.pdf

Enjoy,
Scott

Nice Work Scott, 8)  Is this the original Traffo or Oliver New Classic Serie BV8 , and Beeznez Cap ?
Yummy Yummy,

Best,
DAN,

I like those solder tabs. They seem like a great combination of what I like about eyelets and what I like about turrets.

Anyone know where to buy them?

poctop said:
Nice Work Scott, 8)  Is this the original Traffo or Oliver New Classic Serie BV8 , and Beeznez Cap ?
Yummy Yummy,

Best,
DAN,

Thanks, Dan. Transformer is Oliver's BV11R. It works well with the 6947 tube to my ear. Grid bias is set to ~1.5V per the M49b schematic voltage divider resistors:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869772/D-M49BC/M49b_Schematic.pdf

I used a 500k pot to set the bias voltage rather than fixed resistor R6 and R7.

scott_humphrey said:
poctop said:
Yummy Yummy,

Best,
DAN,

Thanks, Dan. Transformer is Oliver's BV11R. It works well with the 6947 tube to my ear. Grid bias is set to ~1.5V per the M49b schematic voltage divider resistors:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869772/D-M49BC/M49b_Schematic.pdf

I used a 500k pot to set the bias voltage rather than fixed resistor R6 and R7.

Yep,
I am to finish putting my Puck Style M49 pcb into this one as i have received one from Oliver a While ago He actually borrowed My prototype for a while to see it could make both version works and he did , he is suppose to supply the polycarbonate support plate as an option as well, but i ended up with Oliver adaptation prototype in return ,  ;)
and surprisingly everything also fits with some tweaks. I am just missing the binder connector and i will be joining the party  ;) ;)

Here is a Photo From Oliver at the time ,
58d0281993fba.jpg

Best,
Dan,

Scott, can you tell us more about the body? (cost, availability)  I just saw that Lucas has an M49-ish mic in the works but wasn't aware that they were selling the metalwork separately.

Thanks
Paul

pH said:
Scott, can you tell us more about the body? (cost, availability)  I just saw that Lucas has an M49-ish mic in the works but wasn't aware that they were selling the metalwork separately.

Thanks
Paul

Available now: http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com

Contact them if you want the metalwork separately. I don't want to  misquote prices. The quality of the metalwork is excellent.

Hi Dan,

Weren't you providing the PCBs for Oliver's kit? I thought so, but one of my friends got a kit and it came in like Scott's; acrylic decks not a PCB.

Scott, how does it sound? Any comments about this tube? I've heard great things about the 5840 and 5703, but never heard of this one. Why did you decide to use a pot instead of R6 and R7? To set it by ear? Is that a Russian PIO output cap?

Did you drill additional holes in the acrylic to fit the BeesNeez mount? Is the BV11R what came in the kit, or did you specify?

Looks amazing!

Hi Dan,

Weren't you providing the PCBs for Oliver's kit? I thought so, but one of my friends got a kit and it came in like Scott's; acrylic decks not a PCB.

ask Oliver for it ,  the PCB needs minor tweak like the V cut in the pcb but he can supply the polycarbonate top deck and bottom deck to fix the puck  ;),
as far as the transfo pcb it was made for T49 pcb mount style  but a  classic series wired transformer can be used also,

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id146.html

58d0281993fcd.jpg

Best,
DaN,

Melodeath00 said:
Scott, how does it sound? Any comments about this tube? I've heard great things about the 5840 and 5703, but never heard of this one. Why did you decide to use a pot instead of R6 and R7? To set it by ear? Is that a Russian PIO output cap?

Did you drill additional holes in the acrylic to fit the BeesNeez mount? Is the BV11R what came in the kit, or did you specify?

Looks amazing!

Hi MD,

I came across the 6947 tube by researching. I was looking at subminiatures and the specs on the 6947 seemed promising:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/6/6947.pdf

The 6947 is a medium-mu triode, and the interelectrode capacitances are very low (= less signal loss from the capsule) similar to VF14, AC701, and 6072a. I've had to toss one due to unacceptable self noise, but three others seem to be fine. The self noise seems to improve after a few days of burn in, so don't toss out one of these before it has had a chance to settle in. You can underheat the tube down to 5.5V and still have it be in spec. Ultimately, though, I've compared the 6947 to a bunch of other subminiatures (including the ones that you mentioned), and the 6947 is my favorite. It just seems to sound the most natural. Plus, there is something cool about utilizing this tube for more peaceful purposes as opposed to putting them into guided missiles, which was their original purpose.

Other favorite submini tubes from my shootout were CK634/6533 and the 5718, but the 6947 really stood out. It mates well with the BV11R.

I used a pot instead of R6 and R7 so that I could adjust the bias voltage by ear to where it sounds best. which is about 1.5V with 120V B+.

The output cap is a NOS Aerovox paper-in-oil rated at 200V. It fits nicely beneath the lower deck.

I drilled additional holes to accomodate the BeesNeez capsule mount--easy to do.

Hi Guys,

Dany send me the link and pointed out that there are some question.... So let see what I can answer.

First of all great looking work Scott and I hope that it sounds as good as it is put together.

AMI introduced the M49A(lternative) kit at the Labor Day weekend and not everything is uploaded yet, so here are the facts:
The M49A kit is a direct result of my TLM49 mod, I got a bunch of request if there is a way around the hard paper board work, the problem with the one sided K49 (the TLM49 capsule as nothing to do with an K47/49 by the way) as well as the even more difficult metal work. So after doing about 40 mods myself and assisting (mostly metal and hard paper work) about the same, I decided that it would be easier to made the entire metal work with all needed parts and shockmount.  At the same time Terry and I started with the Lucas CS-9 (metal work is not exchangeable) but those to projects are at best related. The only part that is the same is the shockmount!

AMI offers a full M49 looking kit that is a Hybrid of TM49 and M49 metal work, all inside (Danny offers a  DIY PCB kit) plexi decks a shockmount as well as a three different transformer options.
At the same time AMI introduces the Classic Series of Transformer an a K47 with a replica of the first K47/49 capsule mount.

For any sales question you can reach me at 785-697-2257 or just e-mail me at [email protected]
Her is a picture of a couple of M49A mic built versions (done by my daughters to make sure that it is easy to put them together they are 14 and 16 years old) the AC701 version I did myself.

Best regards,

Oliver

Attachments

• 007a.jpg
    007a.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 241
Good to see you here, Oliver! I know you're a busy guy, but do visit us a little more if you can. This is a great place to be, with lots of win-win opportunities to boot.

And good to see your collaboration with our Dany. He's such a nice guy who did great things for this here forum and the mic DIY world in general. Do spread the word. He deserves it.

I agree. Great to see you Oliver! I'd love to hear more about the transformer options, as well as that K47 you've introduced.

Great looking mic !
The TLM49 capsule is single sided right ? is it a K47 fet capsule? , I only need cardiod & read the K47fet is two sided but only one side good & ok for the U47 fet, wondered if they put that capsule in a TLM49, I see the K47fet is better price, Im waiting for email from Sennheiser..... thanks

Hello Micaddict,

busy all the time, hard to find a spare moment to visit Forums, etc. and since I am selling a bunch of DIY related parts I do not feel that it is right to post at forums about what I am selling my web-page www.tab-funkenwerk.com is the place where most of it can be found. Mostly I only answer direct questions...
Dany is a great guy and his PCBs are pretty cool! Will do more soon. 

The transformer option is everything what Neumann made for the tube mics AMI makes as replicas. When we started we used the old Krupp dies with the 4 holes, after over 14 years and 10ooo BV8 type made we went all the way and re-made the UI30 dies, we went from laser, water cutting back to stamping and now we offer still our standard BV8/11 versions with the four hole lamination, as well now the historical correct only four section BV type Classic Series. Yuo can find some more info on BV8>UI30 lams here:http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id146.html

Transformer range for the M49 build depends on the tube but here is a short list:

For AC701 BV11 CS (classic series) BV11A, T49
For 5840 BV11R, T47 or BV8
For EC92 (or P/UC) T47, BV8, UM351
For EC1000 BV8, T47.

That is just a reference, in the end every transformer with a higher than 6 to 1 can be used, but the overall sounds depends on Capsule>Tube>Transformer, so mix and matching works great for Sound Design!

The K47 CS is an alternative that AMI came up with working together with an Taiwanese Capsule Manufacture, it is a standard K47 backplate that is slightly different ported. We do aging and testing here in Gaylord. The development was needed after a better K47 alternative was needed. We use it here now for the UM17 and custom builds.

With reference to AC701 replacement.... There is none! Even the AC761 made by RFT, mainly Junk. But when playing with different tube and capsules variations an M49 sound can be archived.

Best regards,

Oliver

Attachments

• ClassicK47.jpg
    ClassicK47.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 66
scott_humphrey said:
Hi MD,
The 6947 is a medium-mu triode, and the interelectrode capacitances are very low (= less signal loss from the capsule) similar to VF14, AC701, and 6072a. I've had to toss one due to unacceptable self noise, but three others seem to be fine. The self noise seems to improve after a few days of burn in, so don't toss out one of these before it has had a chance to settle in. You can underheat the tube down to 5.5V and still have it be in spec. Ultimately, though, I've compared the 6947 to a bunch of other subminiatures (including the ones that you mentioned), and the 6947 is my favorite. It just seems to sound the most natural. Plus, there is something cool about utilizing this tube for more peaceful purposes as opposed to putting them into guided missiles, which was their original purpose.

Do you have any info where to get this tube as  there are none on Ebay...

Thanx.

Back