AES / EBU splitter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagoose

To set up a Mastered For iTunes mini mac while mastering on PC I need a simple AES/EBU splitter.
Simply said, XLR 1 digi in, 2 digi out. I'm almost sure it can not be done passively, but it should not be that hard to build it, or am I missing something here?
What would be the easiest 100% foolproof way?

If the cables are that short could you get away without using any components and just connect in parallel?
I bet they would still lock and perform beautifully with no errors..

Otherwise you could use proper in/output pulse transformers, and parallel schmidt triggered gates for buffering.

Or use a splitter pulse transformer?!

dagoose said:
To set up a Mastered For iTunes mini mac while mastering on PC I need a simple AES/EBU splitter.
Simply said, XLR 1 digi in, 2 digi out. I'm almost sure it can not be done passively,
Actually, it can. The reason is the line driver should be capable of delivering minimum 2V into 110 ohms, according to the standard, and the receiver should be able to operate with as low as  about 0.3V. So a passive splitter is perfectly usable in most cases. As someone mentioned, in many cases a direct Y connection may work. Although there would be a 50% mismatch, there would still be plenty of signal. However, standing-waves and oscillations may play tricks with the transient response and create signal-induced jitter. OTOH, the use of a passive splitter maintains good impedance matching and wavefront integrity.
Stand-alone passive splitters exist from many vendors, such as ftp://ftp.orban.com/6200/Accessories/ETS/pa830.pdf or
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/20-471_BAL-AS400X-AES-EBU-DIGITAL-AUDIO-SPLITTER-Balanced-110-ohms-XLR-in-out-2-way

You may want to make your own; you need an adequate xfmr. You may want to check the SC945-01LF Super Splitter at
http://www.scientificonversion.com/catalog.html but in the end it may end up being as costly as a ready-made solution.

Attached an active circuit. Use input B or C and add as much outputs you need.
Pretty simple without the oscillator and word clock section.

Attachments

• F61_Schematic.pdf
    324.1 KB · Views: 133
There's also this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sescom-SES-AES-EBU-Y-Impedance-Matching-AES-EBU-Y-Splitter-Cable-SES-AES-EBU-Y-/121142245706?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item1c34a3f94a

I use the 75ALS176B with transformer for input and output. This is a very fast  RS422 transceiver and works perfect up to 192k.
Don't switch inputs parallel.
Passive splitting with impedance matching resistor is only a solution, if I know my in- and output, and they are perfect in symmetry and impedance and when I use short good digital cable. I do this only on the workbench for testing, not in an audio system.

Latest posts

Back