Hands on a Avid HD Omni - now what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Hello folks,

I have a HD Omni that I've come into. But without any kind of interface card etc.

What are my options here? How can start using it as cheaply as possible?

/R

Hahaha... "Avid" and "cheap" in the same sentence!

-That's like saying "What's my cheapest option to go motor racing for a season...?"

(There ain't no cheap racing!)

You'll need a native card, and licensed software with a valid iLok key.

If you're thinking laptop, then the PCI-E option may not work, in which case the HD-native thunderbolt would be the interface of choice to mate with the HD-Omni.

It runs on HD cards also so see if someone is selling an HD 1 or HD 2 with Ilok auth,  HD native is the smarter long term but with a License will run somewhere at 2.5k and up.  I would also think about thunderbolt interface but like SSL says,  "It aint cheap". 

I must say the D to A is very nice on the omni.  I mix and I am amazed at the difference in the sound compared to a 192.  Its a good box with a confusing I/O.  Its also has a built in, up to 7.1 monitor controller.  Very useful box if you don't need a lot of inputs.    It does function as a standalone box with a mixer input for the 4 analog and 4 digital inputs.  You could run a spdif or AES output into the inputs and output to the main output as a monitor controller without the use of an Avid card.    It's confusing encrypted front panel settings for setting up.  It's easier if you have  Protools to get to the Hardware setup page but can be setup from the omni if it has to be.

You don't need Pro Tools to use HD Native, we use Cubase and Reaper at our shop with it. The only caveat is that when firmware needs to be updated, you DO need to run pro tools.. lost a few days of head scratching before I traced to where the problem was.

Back