mic & mod... good choice?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drew571

hey guys.  I'd like to build a few mics and am trying to choose my first.  I want to get the best clone I can.  It seems like the mic&mod are pretty well laid out, but are they the best capsule, circuit, etc? 

i'd like to do an 87, 47, possibly 49.  Are the circuits the same as the poctop ones?  anything to stay away from here? 

thanks,
drew

Have not bought anything from them - the 87 build looks MUCH like poctops, if not the exactly same.
The u47 seems to be a copy of Max build, using two 408a's in parallel.
The capsules looks like generic china-capsule: probably fine, but not the best you can get - i think this is where you could upgrade.

but are they the best capsule, circuit, etc? 

IMO not the right question - in this business, there is no such thing as "best".

M&M has a good selection of decent parts at decent pricing - more than enough to get you started - and from there it'll be YOUR taste and design decisions that will determine outcome.

Jakob E.

Leer said:
Have not bought anything from them - the 87 build looks MUCH like poctops, if not the exactly same.
The u47 seems to be a copy of Max build, using two 408a's in parallel.
The capsules looks like generic china-capsule: probably fine, but not the best you can get - i think this is where you could upgrade.

It is poctops pcb. They mention it in their spiel on the diy 87 page.
As for the u47 and the c12 no prizes for where the ideas for those designs come from.

Not sure if they are the best, but I have ordered a couple of (MK-12) capsules from them and I am very satisfied with the quality.
Also if you have a problem, they are very helpful.
It might be that the Tim Campbell CT-12 capsule is better, but unfortunately it seems impossible to order one...

So far mic & mod has lifted from matador, chunger, Ioaudio, and Danderloo as far as I can tell, I welcome Yannick to interject to clarify or defend the record???

tonycamp... you are off topic on the line.
And I think all those who come on the forum have nothing polishing of your ego problems.

When Mic & Mod is appeared, it is sure that it has done much harm to people already in place. I mean obviously, the level of competition.

I see for example, Microphone Parts, which have a capsule deposit in england ... on which we are currently European judicial proceedings (professional against private person).

What I mean here is that nobody is rosy here.
And I do not know Chunger invented the C12?
I did not know Max had invented the U47?
(and what is wrong with Danderloo Have I missed something?)
Do not make me go for what I am not.
If you want to discuss it, I am open to discussion.

What people should know is that competition can only be beneficial with respect to the client.
All our customers are very satisfied with our products. In addition, we have lots of new projects.

Regarding the white market ... we are not.
Those who went against us should not declare victory.

thanks for the replies guys.  are the components on the PCB basically all the same?  what about the transformer?  who makes that?  could i feasibly just switch out the capsule with the one of my choosing from some of the other sources here on the forum and have the same mic as in chunger's build tutorial? 

drew571 said:
thanks for the replies guys.  are the components on the PCB basically all the same?  what about the transformer?  who makes that?  could i feasibly just switch out the capsule with the one of my choosing from some of the other sources here on the forum and have the same mic as in chunger's build tutorial?

Hi drew571,
I have C12 DIY Kit in stock without transformer if you want.
Please PM me if you're interested.
We use high end components on all our projects.
Best  ;)

You can't set the recod straight because you know your FOS! U r a scumbag fraud, you are clearly ripping off people's hard earned designs and everyone here knows it, and anyone who isn't aware of ur BS scam, will know soon enough.

Pack it in dude, your a thief, and your days are numbered, you're just experiencing the beginning of being called out!

tonycamp said:
You can't set the recod straight because you know your FOS! U r a scumbag fraud, you are clearly ripping off people's hard earned designs and everyone here knows it, and anyone who isn't aware of ur BS scam, will know soon enough.

Pack it in dude, your a thief, and your days are numbered, you're just experiencing the beginning of being called out!

Jesus Tony... what is going on with you man? For the way you reacted anybody would think he was f****ng your wife. It is not like this guy is re-selling Matador's or iostudios' pcb and making money out of it.
For the looks of it he designed new boards based on the schematics, he is sourcing his own parts, etc, And the same with his other products... I maybe naive, but I fail to see what is the problem.

I have not seen anybody else complaining about it, including the possibly interested parties, but I may have missed it entirely. It is weird that his thread on the White board was removed though.

So other than offering a cheaper alternative for the people that live in the EU I fail to see the problem.

Can you give some background for the bashing?

No problem, I'm happy to explain, matador, chunger, Ioaudio, and Danderloo have all had their designs ripped off by this dude! That's a fact! I for one appreciate all the guys who work really hard to come up with designs to make these unobtanium style projects available to us, If a hack like this Yannick dude can so easily lift other peoples hard earned designs( he had no permission), then those valuable members/people will STOP contributing to the DIY community, which is a lose for ALL OF US! so yeah he's fucking them,  me and you! What is so hard to understand about that? I can't believe more people aren't completely outraged, and worried about the integrity of the forum???

It looks like the mic&mod U47 rip off thread got pulled, glad to see the forum doing the right thing.

tonycamp said:
No problem, I'm happy to explain, matador, chunger, Ioaudio, and Danderloo have all had their designs ripped off by this dude! That's a fact! I for one appreciate all the guys who work really hard to come up with designs to make these unobtanium style projects available to us, If a hack like this Yannick dude can so easily lift other peoples hard earned designs( he had no permission), then those valuable members/people will STOP contributing to the DIY community, which is a lose for ALL OF US! so yeah he's f**king them,  me and you! What is so hard to understand about that? I can't believe more people aren't completely outraged, and worried about the integrity of the forum???

First of all, I am not taking sides. I, for one, am a happy customer of everybody you mentioned with the exception of Ioaudio. But I don't see what is the issue with micandmod building and selling similar designs (please take a look at the PCBs, they share the format but they are clearly not copies), it could be similar to bashing Purusha for building 1176 cases that compete with Hairball's and Dans, or attacking served for building a GDIY51x equivalent (and that is an original design). I have to admit that I am very surprised by how similar micandmod's and matachung's designs are, and even how similar the howto pictures are.

I take my example, I am building an extension board for the Stereo Hairball 1176 based on Purple's MC77 (which I won't sell, just provide gerbers and documentation for free). Would you consider I am ripping somebody of? What if I was to sell the board?

I believe, that what makes me most skeptical about all this is your reaction... as i said it seems like you are being attacked directly. I would love to hear from Chunger and Matador what they think too...   

The implementation of the tubes on the 47 is verbatim rip off of Ioaudio, dude straight stole Chungers head basket, look at the C12 matachung rig, are u kidding me ??? And Dans power supply??

Read this
http://realgearonline.com/post/16839/thread

And btw, what part of "he's fucking them, me and you" don't u get? If u think I'm speaking up for anything other than what's just, you're wrong.

tonycamp said:
No problem, I'm happy to explain, matador, chunger, Ioaudio, and Danderloo have all had their designs ripped off by this dude! That's a fact! I for one appreciate all the guys who work really hard to come up with designs to make these unobtanium style projects available to us, If a hack like this Yannick dude can so easily lift other peoples hard earned designs( he had no permission), then those valuable members/people will STOP contributing to the DIY community, which is a lose for ALL OF US! so yeah he's f**king them,  me and you! What is so hard to understand about that? I can't believe more people aren't completely outraged, and worried about the integrity of the forum???

Yes, it's pretty ironic. The schematic of a commercial unit is asked for and immediately you have a bunch of people on the fences. But the design of a very own forum member gets ripped off, with a sales thread right next to the one with the original product, and suddenly it's all equal-opportunity-the-customer-wins? I find the impertinence of his actions really shocking.

To me, the WM always was a means to provide fellow DIYers with goods that are more easily bought in quantity. Not a place to make money off of somebody, but a place where common interests are shared and the members strive to follow certain rules for the obvious greater good. At least that is the way I see it, and I would like to remain naive on that matter. I'm well aware that view is partly outdated by now and people ARE making money, especially with the recent kit frenzy with the mics. But a forum evolves, and this one always seemed well self-regulated in that respect.

It's been a while since the last time we had a discussion concerning that topic, seems like time was ripe for it. But maybe this would be better off in the brewery, I guess not all members follow this part of the forum on a regular basis and this might be the reason there isn't a bigger outcry. It seems to me the microphone section is mostly frequented by newer members that might not be too familiar with the "spirit of the forum", or else an incident like this would have never passed by so unnoticed.

As I said,

I needed to see the reaction from Chunger, Matador and Ioaudio before I could understand the problem.... and on that GS thread I think it is quite clear. I thought there was some kind of agreement between the parties to supply different markets with slightly different versions of the circuit.

Oh boy i was wrong; I am actually a bit surprised poctop designed that C12 PCB without agreeing with Matador...

In any case, I have a message for my fellow countryman Yannick

Casse-toi connard

volker said:
It's been a while since the last time we had a discussion concerning that topic, seems like time was ripe for it. But maybe this would be better off in the brewery, I guess not all members follow this part of the forum on a regular basis and this might be the reason there isn't a bigger outcry. It seems to me the microphone section is mostly frequented by newer members that might not be too familiar with the "spirit of the forum", or else an incident like this would have never passed by so unnoticed.

Actually I was confusing, the style of the product and even the presentation was so similar that I had to assume it was legitimate and there was a gentleman agreement between the parties.

I have to admit, that personally I don't see that much of an issue with somebody doing a version of somebody else's design, even commercially. But I am probably influenced in my opinion because I don't run a business out of my designs. Even with that, and i put my own design as an example, I made sure I followed Purple Audio's requirements and I ensured that my design did not overlap the designs of both mnats and Hairball.

But that I wouldn't do business out of it does not mean that doing it is illegal, unless of course the actual designs from ioaudio and matador were trademarked and they could claim damages.

dmnieto said:
But that I wouldn't do business out of it does not mean that doing it is illegal, unless of course the actual designs from ioaudio and matador were trademarked and they could claim damages.

It's not about legal, it's about doing the right thing, ethics and just being cool, that's what all these guys who are being screwed adhere too, none of them are making a living off of the things they came up with here, it's mostly about passion,... Not unlike most of us here.

while it is not in the realm of reality for most of us to build a useful mic capsule; it is possible to fabricate a power supply or mic head amp circuit point-to-point, veroboard or etched copperclad...a mic body is also something one could fabricate without too much trouble.
to me that is DIY and those projects are far more special than an assemble by numbers kit.

I am not too surprised by the gravity of commerce and pimping of DIY... Is it not assumed that worthwhile 'custom' parts fabbed in china will end up flooding the market from various outlets

It is good to stand up for the pioneers and vote with our pocketbooks but I don't think too many groupDIY heros are buying these kits rather newbies out to save a buck--and not hip to the spirit of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back