Compressor Suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsaimaster

Ok I am looking to get a good mix of compressors for the studio. Can people give me their opinions on the various compressors. I am recording rock, alternative and singer songwriter. Basically my own band. I have not used every compressor so only have familiarity with the ones I've used in my studio. I have recorded in various studios but did not necessarily "use" the compressors. These are the compressors I have. Which ones do I need, or wish for? What do you like? What do you hate or dislike? Any help appreciated.

Distressor - sounds great on everything. Does not add a lot of color. First used on bass and was great. Using now on acoustic guitars and bass. I don't think I have utilized this compressor enough
dbx160XL - very punchy good for drums. Have not used if for anything else was cheap and started the compressor collection
1176 Blue strip version A (hairball version) - used on vox at first bc I liked the edginess and slight distortion. Using it less as it is a little harsh
1176 Black version D (hairball version) - love this on bass and drums. Very boomy and adds a nice warm color.

Things I am considering...
LA-2a - diy of course
Some type of variable mu compressor
Fairchild - seems too expensive to build and sounds too punchy
La-3a - no experience don't know if it will add to my collection
Manley ELOP which I think is a stereo LA-2a
VAC rack 400 (or similar DIY version) I like this compressor as it is tubey without going overboard like the Fairchild
Neve clone?
Clone Tech CL-1 (or similar DIY version)

Another 1176 black Rev D
Another distressor

Don't seem to like (but change my mind)...
SSL - not fond of as it sounds narrow to me.
Any hardware version just doesn't sound as natural or full

Thanks
Bonsaimaster

Not sure that you mean "dbx160XL", and I wouldn't call the 166XL "punchy", so maybe you mean the original 166? Or perhaps the 160X or 160XT? Those are all great comps. Often called "dark" and "round" they can kill on percussion, acoustic guitar, and IMO bass guitar.

Something similar sounding to the 160X or XT would be the Urei 7110. More controls, takes longer to dial-in, but worth it. Go for USD$120 to $140 or so before shipping. Like the 160-series, they're almost a one-trick pony, where they either work on a source or they don't. Sounds awesome, or bleh. No in between. There's an optional transformer upgrade, but the trannies are getting hard to find.

Some other used gear to check out for cheap:

For fast and clean, the Aphex 651 and 661 and pretty transparent, and have a HUGE range of settings to tinker with. The 651 goes for much cheaper, often around $100 or there abouts. I don't gather that the premium for the 661 is worth the extra $.

For super-slow and "is this thing even on?" leveling, the Aphex 320A is hard to beat. I got two for a total of $200 for the pair. Very strange machine.

Hard to find sometimes, but pretty cheap and useful are the 1200-series compressors from Audioarts (now a part of Wheatstone, and sometimes branded such). The original model 1200 with the big knobs is grungier sounding, and IMO pretty damned cool, can be had for around $100, and just sounds cool on everything. Can be FAST when you want it to, or not, depending what you're doing with it. The newer one-channel unit is the 1201 and the dual channel is the 1202. These are cleaner sounding than the original 1200 from the 1980's, but somehow I like the 1200 better (I've got 4 now hehe).

Any old Orban compressor. The 412A (mono) and 414A (two channel version) are pretty cool, overdrive nicely for effect, sort of a hairy fuzz about them, and go for about $100 per channel. The models 422A and 424A are a slightly different animal with de-essing. Lately one particualr ebay user is trying to drive prices up, and as a result numerous units are sitting unsold from various sellers with way inflated prices. Don't pay more than $100 per channel, but if you find a deal I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Anything from Ashly. The old SC-50 is one to watch for, often bringing over $100 each. The SC-52 is the two channel model. The newer models are much cleaner sounding. I'm loving my CL52E for gentle stereo compression, and users of the newer CLX52 make similar claims. I got my CL52E for $60 and use it all the time.

As for DIY, I'm sure pretty much any project you build, if you take your time, you're going to be pleased. I'm anxious to hear more about which DIY projects ppl find the most useful. :)

Latest posts

Back