Anyone used Retrospect for backups in the past?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hi,
I need to transfer some DDS 3 tapes that were backups from 2001.
Tapes were written with Retrospect 4.1i,
is there any chance someone has installers or the app files for the old retrospect versions?

Thanks

I might actually have access to a version, but I have no idea where it is. It's either here in my house or where I work, but I won't be at work for a couple of days.

Have you checked here: http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/archived

?

If you can't get a version to run with backwards compatibility let me know and I'll look for the disc.

I'll PM you my email. Use that to remind me tomorrow if you still need it.

/mattias

Hi Mattias thank you,

I checked the link but the older version there its an update for v6.0.

If Someone still has an older version available that would Be great.

Thanks

Do you have a working DDS tape drive?  All the DDS drives I've ever used failed within 3 years of installation

Nick Froome

I have an old Mac with retrospect on it.  I'll check the version this weekend, but +1 for what Nick said.  I have 2 DDS drives that each "sort of" work.
Your best bet may be a data recovery service.
Best,
Bruno2000

I'd run a valueless tape through the drive before you put the backup tape in.  One nasty feature of DDS tape is that it's difficult or impossible to retrieve data past a certain point if the tape has been damaged

Nick Froome

Hello All,
and thanks for your help and advise.

Would it be possible is I send my tape to someone that could o me the favour of trying to retrieve the information from there?

Shipping the tape might be the best solution

Thanks

I got a running DDS drive and retrospect installed on my old studio Mac - I have no clue which version but afaik retrospect is backward compatible. If you like you can send me the file but please not too much hurry I'm pretty swamped with work.

Jo

Back