La2a build, a few questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangechili

Waiting on a few parts to come in for a ptp LA2a build but had a few questions in the meantime(searched and couldn't find the answer to these).  ;)

1.First off, I'm having a brain fart, what direction does the zener diode face that replaces the neon? Does the cathode face ground or the other way around? I've used these a bit in guitar amp builds but am forgetting the orientation right now…
2.I have a different looking rotary switch than the one used in Cayacosta's layout and am no rotary switch expert lol, I've attached a picture of mine. Any help in how to wire it up properly would be greatly appreciated! It's one of those one's where you place a pin stopper for the amount of positions and I have it set to three positions right now. I'm assuming the 2 poles on the inside go to where the 2 P's are located on the Cayacosta PTP layout?

Attachments

• rotary switch ugh.jpg
    rotary switch ugh.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 5
I didn't know you could replace the neon with a zener - what value zener are you using?

orangechili said:
Waiting on a few parts to come in for a ptp LA2a build but had a few questions in the meantime(searched and couldn't find the answer to these).  ;)

1.First off, I'm having a brain fart, what direction does the zener diode face that replaces the neon? Does the cathode face ground or the other way around? I've used these a bit in guitar amp builds but am forgetting the orientation right now…
2.I have a different looking rotary switch than the one used in Cayacosta's layout and am no rotary switch expert lol, I've attached a picture of mine. Any help in how to wire it up properly would be greatly appreciated! It's one of those one's where you place a pin stopper for the amount of positions and I have it set to three positions right now. I'm assuming the 2 poles on the inside go to where the 2 P's are located on the Cayacosta PTP layout?

I have a 60 volt 5 watt zener, they talk about replacing the neon quite a bit in the large LA2a thread but I haven't seen any mention on how to orientate it? Apparently the meter behaves better and sometimes the neons have been prone to be noisy and pick up RF. Also, mouser doesn't even have the neons in stock anymore…

Ok, I found the orientation of the zener in the pdf on the first page of the silent arts dla2a thread. The cathode faces towards the 470k resistor on the first turret(cayacosta layout) and the other side goes to ground:)

Latest posts

Back