ua 610 FOR APOLLO

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Just released the UA 610 plug in for apollo users. When in use, it changes the impedance of the built in apollo preamps to behave like an original 610... very interesting for sure.

I believe you can track to Pro Tools with those emulations too. Pretty wild stuff they have going on and most of the big guys are getting on board too. To them, there is money in UAD's platform.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with an integrated DAW. Look at what a mess Avid is in. At least for the music business, it'd be a smart move on UA's part and the time is almost ripe for the picking..

Yes you can track with this on the way in, part of the whole apollo i/o system where the plug in is in the i/o for zero latency so you can track going into your daw without problems.

The mic pre plug in's are what they call unison ready where it changes the behavior of the apollo mic pres to model the plug in. so far they have their 610 console and 610 rack mount as well as API vision stuff that is unison ready.

PUCHO! You know when i went on the UA site for the update and saw this 610a/b thingy my 1st thought was what will Pucho post?? LOL
For me i love the UAD plug in stuff, by far some of the best sounding plug ins, however they are still plug ins, there are a few things that slightly concern me, heres an example; if i plug into my valve guitar amp and have a play and record it, it sounds nice, but then i record my guitar DI then re-amp it...exactly the same setup etc, well it doesn't sound the same does it? to me it sounds like a DI'd guitar through a guitar amp and thats exactly what worries me, now this effect to me is noticeable perhaps more on clean sounds than high gain sounds but i still can hear it, i think there is a word for this, i remember kingston posting on it something to do with transconductances and impedances interacting which can only happen when a live source is plugged into a valve amp or something (hope he chimes in).
Now with the UAD 610 pluggy (I'm just gonna use this as opposed to api unison cause its a valve emulation) i can understand if you have pre-recorded material you can add the algorithm and measurements of valves and transformers to the sound, infact the new pultec emulation does this, if you turn in on the mix buss it immediately gets brighter around 2-4k by 1db, i can notice this easily. Now this recording version which they call unison, i love the idea but my analdog brain says hang on a minute, now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to flame UAD here, but... so i record through their IC chip preamps into the apollo system or whatever, stick this 610 pre in unison mode onto it and its going to calculate the transformers, valves, impedance the valves transconductance (or whatever its called) and sound like an old skool 610 preamp???? I'm sure it sounds in the ballpark but what about all these other things that happen when you just plug your guitar into a valve amp or plug a mic into an old 610 without the ic chips and AD DA conversion.... just my thoughts oh Pucho man of power... it makes me wonder..
G

Govinda Doyle said:
PUCHO! You know when i went on the UA site for the update and saw this 610a/b thingy my 1st thought was what will Pucho post?? LOL

G

Am I that cantankerous? :eek:  I agree with all you said. But knowing ua, they do their homework well. Since I never used a 610 console I can't compare. I have used the 610 rack mounts before but been so long that I can't remember the sonics. I like the theory of unison  pre amps. Lets see what they can do with them...

Govinda,

If one issue is conversion then at least we'd save one round-trip using the UAD (compared to first recording direct, then re-amping the signal).

Pucho, Cantankerous, no, but i do enjoy what you post! often  ;D
I am also curious about what UAD will come up with, hey at least they are pushing boundaries!
I am too interested to see how this thang works and if it does what they say, i mean at the end of the day its not the same physical thing the unison vs real thing, however its gonna be interesting!
ahhhh technologyyyyy

Latest posts

Back