Crown PSA-2 crackle and .6VDC on speaker

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhmca

Hi Guys,

I have a Crown PSA-2 I'm working on. The main problem is there is a intermittent "crackling" sound on channel 2. Channel 1 has about .6vdc on the speaker terminals. Channel 1 has .05vdc on speakers

first off, thoughts on the DC on the speaker output? I'm sure that's not good?

Things I have tried with the crackling sound.

1. It is independent of the volume control and is still there with the volume all the way down.
2. Is still there with no input.
3. I have swapped the amp modules around and it is still on channel 2
4. Sounds an awful lot like ground discharge...

4.7ufs on the output leaky? for both problems? They are VERY buried is why I ask first and not just replace them.

C119 and C219 the output caps?

Attachments

• Crownpsa2.jpg
    Crownpsa2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 10
Does the amp play well otherwise??

The DC should be under 0.050V, probably under 0.010V on a Crown.

It's not the output stage. The output just does what the input stage tells it to do.

Crowns even back to the DC300 are way too complicated for cowboy service. I'd never take one on.

PRR, it does play fine otherwise...

Crown has a great service manual and lot's of tech help. I have an email dialogue right now with an internal old school tech... just thought I would get some feedback here as well

Look for a bad (leaky) cap,,, perhaps in the gain leg to ground, or in series with the input.

Amps are amps... Like PRR said if it is passing audio and appears to be working working "and" has .6v on the output, something is incorrectly telling it to do that.

Be careful about probing around when it is on.. you could make the repair even more expensive. Right now it sounds cheap to fix (bad solder connection or leaky cap). If you take out the power transistors it will get more expensive to fix fast.

JR

Back