I/O pads for Federal AM864/U - questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusTex64

Federal is transformer balanced 600 ohms in and out. Looking to knock 15dB or so off both ends. Sometimes Fed will be connected to other old 600 ohm gear (1176), sometimes to Apogee Rosetta 800 with 15K ohm in and 75 ohm out (bridging). So do I make 600:600 H pads, which would seem to work with both scenarios, or make the Federal bridging with 10K in and 100 ohms out via H pad design? I've read so much about this online my brain is numb. This has been a humbling experience! Most data is about mic level impedances, not line level with transformers.

Then there's the debate about U pad vs H pad....

EDIT: Been playing around with this H pad calculator http://www.giangrandi.ch/electronics/attenuators/attenuators.shtml
Looks like to do the bridging thing, min attenuation is 21dB. The 600:600 approach sure seems more flexible, at least for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I ended up making -15dB 600:600 H pad attenuators for the Federal, which are working delightfully....

Do you think the Bourns 600 ohm T pad that Hairball Audio sells for the 1176 would work OK on the output of the Federal? I'm gonna move the rear pots to a companion 1U rack and add a pot for release time, and I could put the output control on this as well. Keeps me from drilling the front panel.

Thanks Doug, just confirming. Also, really enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

While I'm at it, what's your opinion on changing the TC cap from 1uF to .1uF and using a 2K log pot to vary release on the Fed?

Back