Transformer blowing fuses out of circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickdundee63

OK I'm getting to the business end of a drip fairchild 670. I began testing the power tranny secondaries today before beginning wiring but didn't get far. The mains tfmr is blowing fuses despite being out of circuit. I'm using 250v 3a slo boo fuses as recommended. I'm connecting the primaries in series using Sowter's 0526 EU (230/240v version)

http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/0526.htm

I'm connecting red to black, using blue and brown and have isolated the white. Using my DMM I've got continuity across all primary wires even though it seems to be a dual primary. I'm thinking this means I've got a short? What are the chances of a never before used Sowter having a short? Seems unlikely but can't think what else is going wrong. My trannies have only one white but I don't see how this could be part of the problem.

The other power trannies have the same primary winding set up. They are reading around 70ohms between windings, down to 7 ohms when I connect red and black to link the windings. On the mains tmfr the is reading around 5 ohms between the windings (between blue and brown), down to 0.5 ohm when red and black are connected.

Now obviously it's highly unlikely all 3 trannies are shorted but I thought the circuit would be open between the two primary windings??

I'm sure I'm missing something here - any hints on where to research next or steps to take?

Yes, thanks for your reply John I just thought it might be something obvious I was missing. In actual fact I think the EU version I have only has one primary winding - the schematic on the Sowter site looks just like the dual primaries I use for most projects so I followed it instinctively but it likely refers to the worldwide version. I will try again and email Sowter if I'm still having dramas.

In case anyone else is having  a similar problem: the La2a mains made by sowter has a very similar primary setup and appears to have the same colour code. I wired according to the specs for that transformer and everything appears to be working fine:

http://www.sowter.co.uk/colours/0208.pdf

Back