Sennheiser md441 trouble

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio Mollan

Hi.
I've got a pair of md441:s which both seem to have lost some high frequencies. The low end and midrange sound just as expected. Deep and very full in the lower mids but the treble sounds lowpassed. The pair sounds identical.
Anybody got the same experience with old 441:s and/or a good solution. The new capsule assembly is pretty expensive...

micaddict said:
If there's something wrong it does seem odd both sound identical.  ???

How do the treble boost switches behave?

The treble boost switch works on both. I read one post over on gearslutz where a guy described his like mine but that's about what ive found on this online.
Maybee take it apart and clean the switches/front mesh etc. I saw a photo of an disasembled 441 and it has a filter cirquit inside. A few tantalums that might need replacement. It will be a BITCH to get that thing apart though....
/
Emil

micaddict said:
If there's something wrong it does seem odd both sound identical.  ???
Indeed!! But it is confirmed so. So maybee aging components? Thay have pretty much matching serial numbers. Meybee they have been stored under poor conditions. Humidity, cigarette smoke etc?

I read a book on microphones by Lou Burroughs (of EV) and he talked about the diaphragms on dynamic mics becoming contaminated and performing out of spec.
Maybe they need a cleaning, but I don't know who would know how to do that.

dmp said:

Cleaning the diaphragm on dynamic capsule isn't that hard.
Usual isophropyl and the cotton swab will do the job.
In case of MD441 the old disintegrated foam could stuck in the tunnel above the diaphragm.
Foams in old sennheisers can be pretty nasty :)

Few years ago i bought two md409 on bay for something about 25euro. Seller claimed, that those microphones were in the hands of two  well known "microphone gurus" and both send them back, because there was no option for repair.
In both microphones disintegrated foam was adhered into the diaphragms. Simple cleaning with isopropyl and microphones works like new. Those foams usually are making sticky with the age.

If there would be any other problem with the capsule - it should lose the low frequencies, not high.
To exclude the capsule fault, you can solder two wires direct to the capsule out and compare with the second mike.
If the foam isn't the problem, check those tantalum caps. Do the rotary switch works in all (five) positions?

Cheers

Attachments

• 142922_2_x[1].jpg
    142922_2_x[1].jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 64
ln76d said:
dmp said:

Cleaning the diaphragm on dynamic capsule isn't that hard.
Usual isophropyl and the cotton swab will do the job.
In case of MD441 the old disintegrated foam could stuck in the tunnel above the diaphragm.
Foams in old sennheisers can be pretty nasty :)

Few years ago i bought two md409 on bay for something about 25euro. Seller claimed, that those microphones were in the hands of two  well known "microphone gurus" and both send them back, because there was no option for repair.
In both microphones disintegrated foam was adhered into the diaphragms. Simple cleaning with isopropyl and microphones works like new. Those foams usually are making sticky with the age.

If there would be any other problem with the capsule - it should lose the low frequencies, not high.
To exclude the capsule fault, you can solder two wires direct to the capsule out and compare with the second mike.
If the foam isn't the problem, check those tantalum caps. Do the rotary switch works in all (five) positions?

Cheers
Thank's for ypur very informative reply!
I will try all this when i have time and i now feel confident that i have working capsules. The foam was sticky but intact and had not polluted the membranes. I replaced it with new a weak ago but did not notice a difference. the Membrane looks really, really clean actually. So maybe its electronics related. tantalums, switches etc.
Thanks again!
/
Emil

Latest posts

Back