Mini split airconditioning for control room

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I'm posting this several different places around the internet.

I don't know the best section to post this question, but will try here. A friend needs to add a mini split A/C unit so his control room is on its own cooling zone. I'll crunch some numbers, but guesstimate 1 ton/12,000 BTU. Maybe 1.5 tons....

Mitsubishi's Mr. Slim was one of (the?) first, but other brands have appeared. Main concern is fan noise from the blower in the evaporator unit within the control room. Reliability is also important. Also, the ability for the unit to run properly with winter outdoor temperatures (no way to "open a window to the outdoors" in this control room).

Can any of these be installed by a DIY'er, or does the freon plumbing/system recharging require a HVAC contractor?

Thanks!

Bri

I have a sanyo split system.  The internal components are very quiet.  Surprisingly quiet, sometimes you can't hear them quiet.

The external system is maintained by an HVAC guy that sends a bill once a year, it can handle 4 internal systems but we only have two installed in two different rooms.  Not sure what he does once a year.

A lot of the modern Japanese split systems come pre-charged with gas.  As long as you use the supplied pipework there will be enough gas to make the system work, so they are DIYable

If the system is sized correctly I think it reduces the possibility of it icing up in cold weather.  Again, lots of the newer systems have a reverse cycle defrosting system to recover from icing but they can be expensive to run if the defrost cycle is run repeatedly

Nick Froome

The Mitsubishi units come precharged in the condensing unit with enough gas for 15 to 25 feet of length (I'm not sure exactly what the number is. The manual will tell you) between the outdoor condensing unit and the internal evaporating unit. If the lineset exceeds this, you will have to add some gas.  This isnt Freon anymore (R22), which is unfortunate. 410a is much pickier about Superheat/Subcooling and how much charge is added. If you need to add gas, get a contractor. If not, borrow a vacuum pump and nitrogen tank and do it your self.
I used to do this professionally, if you want I could talk you through it step by step. As long as you dont kink your hoses or have to add gas, it isn't hard.

I have an LG that was precharged, but I still ended up needing to get an AC guy out here because it seems like I had a little leak, and the only way to know was to have him come out and do a vacuum test which is a machine I don't have...It ended up only costing like $60 though...

Yeah, you need a vacuum pump and a set of gauges in order to install them. Leaks with 410a are tricky because you usually can't just "top them up". They are blends of different refrigerants with different boiling points. They are also very picky. If it was r22, you could be down 20% of your charge before you even notice a diminished performance.

They are used a lot in NYC studios where people tend to move around.  Great units.  I have had a Mitsubishi 1 ton in a machine room in one place that is 20 years in use.
Installing around here depends on the municipality as well.  In the city you have to have a licensed contractor to do the work in order to get a CO.  Out on Long Island you could DIY if you have the necessary skills and tools.
Mike

Latest posts

Back