Inserts/Direct Outs ... how, where and when?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I just posted to the Mark 3 mixer blog a post about inserts and direct outs.

http://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/insert-options.html

It is a long time since I was in the recording industry and the way things are done and the mixers available have changed beyond recognition since then. So I am interested in  when and how inserts and direct outs are used in today's recording chains and particularly where in the mixer signal chain they occur. Any and all opinions & experiences welcome.

Cheers

Ian

I have found that these days as people are more into recording via a DAW with essentially unlimited track counts, there is less demand for busing(combining signals).  Long gone are the days of I only have X amount of tracks so better buss my 2 kick drum mics together and so on.  As for inserts, You have to have them even if you do not use them.  You never know when a person will want to insert something into the signal path.  I still use inserts often and I also use  busses out of old habits.

How is the third graphic balanced?? I think you have an error, or just a mistake mixing block diagram and schematics.

I don't know how it's done, my idea to the desk I'm designing and building is to have outboard preamps, go to the daw and in the return go to the mixer, so if done in one piece I would have the insert right after the preamp, to insert my DAW and any other stuff I'd like, patch points there and replicate in the patch bay if needed. In this way I could use the desk to mix only or to record without processing and mixing to pre listen and monitoring. The other thing I would like build to match this setup are simple mixers with just levels to musicians headphones, this should be with the direct signal after mixer eq/comp, but maybe before fader, so I can play all what I want with faders during the record without disturb the musicians work.

JS

One interesting concept I came across is on the new Allen&Heath GS-R24 console
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/gs-r24/
Check out the illustrated flow diagram under "workflow" section on that page.

It has many useful scenarios of routing the signal. Most interesting is the fact that it's channel faders can also work as midi controllers and provide tactile control of the DAW mixer while you simultaneously us it's EQ as a plugin insert.
I know this midi thing is probably way beyond your intention, but wanted just to point to some new concepts of today mixers.

btw... this console is actually okay for mixdown! I had some doubts, but it's eq sounds very nice... unfortunately preamps are so-so...

joaquins said:
How is the third graphic balanced?? I think you have an error, or just a mistake mixing block diagram and schematics.

JS

It's balanced because there is a transformer feeding the insert and a transformer connected to the return. I did not want to draw a detailed schematic but there is no standard set of symbols for drawing mixer block diagrams so I tried to do the best I could using schematic symbols. Sorry if it was not clear. Now you know why I often draw by hand.

Cheers

Ian

joaquins said:
I don't know how it's done, my idea to the desk I'm designing and building is to have outboard preamps, go to the daw and in the return go to the mixer, so if done in one piece I would have the insert right after the preamp, to insert my DAW and any other stuff I'd like, patch points there and replicate in the patch bay if needed. In this way I could use the desk to mix only or to record without processing and mixing to pre listen and monitoring. The other thing I would like build to match this setup are simple mixers with just levels to musicians headphones, this should be with the direct signal after mixer eq/comp, but maybe before fader, so I can play all what I want with faders during the record without disturb the musicians work.

JS

Very interesting. So, mic pres for tracking are completely separate from the mixer which is only used to mix to stereo. The mic pres can have other outboard stuff inserted at their outputs on the way to the DAW. I gues this also means you only need a few mic pres and a greater nuber of channels for mxidown?

Cheers

Ian

Since the DAW is the main recording platform, the old large desk's of yesteryear or not as needed as they used to be and one can easily get away  alternatives. like a desk that does not have mic pre's because they have a rack of external mic pre's. For example

pucho812 said:
Since the DAW is the main recording platform, the old large desk's of yesteryear or not as needed as they used to be and one can easily get away  alternatives. like a desk that does not have mic pre's because they have a rack of external mic pre's. For example

I have never been 100% comfortable with this. You could consider the DAW as little more than a digital tape recorder in which case you could/would use an external mixer with all the normal facilities. On the other hand, you might consider the DAW as line mixer/recorder in one in which case why have an external mixer at all? All you need is some  external mic preamps.

Cheers

Ian

I would agree. I have never been 100% o.k. without having a console. I can see the external preamps but not having a mixer to me is ludicrous, I like the availability of having everything in front of me.

pucho812 said:
I would agree. I have never been 100% o.k. without having a console. I can see the external preamps but not having a mixer to me is ludicrous, I like the availability of having everything in front of me.

I am glad it is not just me. The only DAW I use regularly is an AKAI DPS24 which had real faders and I notice many people use a bank of midi faders with their computer based DAW. Mixing is a very tactile thing.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
with regard to your new mixer project I would like to point out a few options I have in my "new" ADT 5MT desk that I really like. So basicly it´s a typical inline concept with tape and recording channel in one channelstrip. The good thing about the way ADT realized it is that I can switch each block (EQ, inserts, sends etc.) from tape channel to recording channel  and vice versa.

Example: I insert my LA2a during recording a vocal track in the tape chain to give the singer a nice monitor mix of his performance. With only a single switch (rec) I can decide if I want to record the signal with insert or not. Same for EQ and everything else. Another nice thing is, that I can insert e.g a compressor via patchbay and the compressor gain reduction meter starts to move instantly, but in order to hear compression, I have to switch it in via a dedicated switch. So you´ve got a kind of bypass function in the channelstrip. A really useful feature.

I´ve attached a leaflet (in German) with a detailed description of the channelstrip and block diagrams of the signal flow. You´ll find the same leaflet in English on the download section of ADT homepage. Google for ADT 5MT and you´ll find it.
regards
Bernd

Edit: File is too large to attach. Can I send it to you via Email?
Edit: Have a look here with description in English:

http://www.adt-audio.com/MixingConsole/InputModulesSeriesD/InlineModuleIo5DcFeatures.html

Edit: schematic attached

Attachments

• Io5c.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 14
@bernbrue

Many thanks for that. That is a very comprehensive mixer that has just about every facility you could imagine. I will need to spend some time looking at it in detail.

Can you imagine a tube channel strip that did all that?????

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
joaquins said:

JS

Very interesting. So, mic pres for tracking are completely separate from the mixer which is only used to mix to stereo. The mic pres can have other outboard stuff inserted at their outputs on the way to the DAW. I gues this also means you only need a few mic pres and a greater nuber of channels for mxidown?

Cheers

Ian

In my mind, I wouldn't insert anything between the mic pre and the DAW (but a wire). I like to record clean and add anything in the mix down where I'm much more comfortable, with the time, space, noise floor, etc. At the time I have 16 inputs, 18 outputs, 2 for monitoring and 16 for mix, so no, I record 16 channels at a time and mix 16 channels in analog, I don't know how I will do it but I guess I mix in busses, for example
1 kick
2 snare
3-4 stereo for toms (or two toms if just two used)
5-6 stereo for overheads
7 bass
8-9 Keyboard
10-11 lead guitar
12 2nd guitar
13 choir
15-16 lead vocal

then analog buses any analog verb I'd like to use (spring, bathroom, a plate I would like to build)

Then add a buss for digital verbs to DAW, main output, etc plus the analog tape delay and then maybe use another mixer round to sum in analog the digital fx. I would love to have more analog outputs, of course, but I just bought a focusrite liquid pro 56 really cheap and I would like to use 96KHz for what I should buy a new S/MUX converter.

In a studio I worked there was a german behringer desk that has inline channels, I used the simple ones to go to the DAW and the others to make the monitoring.

JS

ruffrecords said:
[silent:arts] said:
ruffrecords said:
Can you imagine a tube channel strip that did all that?????
sure  ;)

http://www.solid-tube-audio.de/index.php?id=23

LOL. I saw that many moons ago. I was never able to establish if they ever built a complete one.

Cheers

Ian

I was always under the impression they built one. That is if it is the same company I am thinking of, They used to be vintec... Anyway As I Recall they made one Console  or so they said. I've only seen pictures and they used that knowledge of building that large console to make the rack units they currently sell. Hmmmmm 26 tubes a channel IF I remember correctly.  Would be the perfect console for a studio in Siberia, would cut down on the heating bills.

joaquins said:
In my mind, I wouldn't insert anything between the mic pre and the DAW (but a wire). I like to record clean and add anything in the mix down where I'm much more comfortable, with the time, space, noise floor, etc. At the time I have 16 inputs, 18 outputs, 2 for monitoring and 16 for mix, so no, I record 16 channels at a time and mix 16 channels in analog, I don't know how I will do it but I guess I mix in buses, for example

1 kick, 2 snare, 3-4 stereo for toms (or two toms if just two used), 5-6 stereo for overheads, 7 bass
8-9 Keyboard, 10-11 lead guitar, 12 2nd guitar, 13 choir, 15-16 lead vocal

then analog buses any analog verb I'd like to use (spring, bathroom, a plate I would like to build)

Then add a buss for digital verbs to DAW, main output, etc plus the analog tape delay and then maybe use another mixer round to sum in analog the digital fx. I would love to have more analog outputs, of course, but I just bought a focusrite liquid pro 56 really cheap and I would like to use 96KHz for what I should buy a new S/MUX converter.

In a studio I worked there was a german behringer desk that has inline channels, I used the simple ones to go to the DAW and the others to make the monitoring.

JS

Just the sort of input I am looking for. The first important point is you like to record clean. So this means the best place for the direct out is just after the mic pre and before the EQ. This just happens to be the way it is done in many mixers nowadays. This would also allow the main faders to be used for a monitor mix. From your track listing I am not sure if you do any sub mixes. Most of the inputs look like they can be direct. The only one I am not sure about is the stereo toms. Is this a sub mix of possibly three mics?

The only other thing I am not sure about is if you need any foldback mix for musicians when recording?

Then what about mix down? I guess from what you said you need a couple of post fader FX sends for reverbs  and a couple more for DAW reverbs and tape delay - say 4 aux sends. You also need  a stereo main mix bus and output.  Also on this bus you need some returns from the reverbs etc.  Presumably you need some inserts in this mode?. Would you normally expect these to be pre -fader and pre-EQ?.

Many thanks for the input.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
joaquins said:

Just the sort of input I am looking for. The first important point is you like to record clean. So this means the best place for the direct out is just after the mic pre and before the EQ. This just happens to be the way it is done in many mixers nowadays. This would also allow the main faders to be used for a monitor mix. From your track listing I am not sure if you do any sub mixes. Most of the inputs look like they can be direct. The only one I am not sure about is the stereo toms. Is this a sub mix of possibly three mics?

The only other thing I am not sure about is if you need any foldback mix for musicians when recording?

Then what about mix down? I guess from what you said you need a couple of post fader FX sends for reverbs  and a couple more for DAW reverbs and tape delay - say 4 aux sends. You also need  a stereo main mix bus and output.  Also on this bus you need some returns from the reverbs etc.  Presumably you need some inserts in this mode?. Would you normally expect these to be pre -fader and pre-EQ?.

Many thanks for the input.

Cheers

Ian

Glad to help, ask any doubts about my project, I'd started two topics, first in the mixer section and then in the drawing board to ask for some opinions. Here is the last one, where you find a link to the first where are more scheme and details. A lot since last update, no time in a while for it, nothing more than building some more boards and stuff in the mid time. http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50205.0

Toms stereo could be a stereo pre mixed (in the box) of more than 2 mics, depending on the quantity of toms used. Same for OH, a drummer I recorded used all the cymbals on his right except one crash on the left, plus hi-hat where expected, so I decide it worth to put a stereo pair on his right to have a 'fake' (not the image you see of him but wider) and one mic to the crash and other to the hi-hat, so 4 mics on the OH bus. In any case it would be wonder to use all separate channels but not always possible because of the 16 outputs.

I do plan to use sub mixes, but in my project the idea is to have let's say 4 different summing amps so I can choose which to use as master and which to what as sub mix. Also I like to do some compression with something like an 1176 at the drums for example or compress the guitars with the voice in the side chain, so sub mix are needed there.

Also I record a lot outside my spot, so I can go just with the DAW and mic pre, and the desk sits at home. My idea for the desk is just use it for mix, not a problem if it helps for monitoring when I have it there in recording. In my project the desk has no mic inputs, just line, and the preamps are in other box, so count it as an insert point, when recording or just mixing, if you want to add something between the DAW and the desk.
  Then I have in the desk 2 51X slots, so no much outboard gear used but if I add an insert point I'm pretty sure it would be after both 51X slots, so I can get the processed signal to monitor the musicians in their own tiny mixers (another project, just a simple mixer with levels and a headphone amp, couple of stereo channels and a couple of mono, maybe connected with UTP) and use the mixer alone without the 51X slots to sum when I'm processing in the box, or in the case commented in the other post when I sum the fx and the master.

I don't remember now and I don't have the eagle installed in this computer yet, but I leave a lot of buses ready to use with sends as pre or post faders, I thing I was thinking in 6, in case to use as monitoring. Oh, here it is, 14 buses, one is ground, 8 are for the 4 stereo mixes and the other 9 reserved for other mixes, all could be assigned pre or post, one or two could be reserved for PFL/AFL so 7 mixes for monitoring and FX. I use unbalanced buses because with a beefy reference (probably a cooper bar) it uses a lot of less opamps and I think I would be able to manage noise. Crosstalk shouldn't be a problem in a non-broadcasting desk. Also I use 22K summing resistors that at line level noise isn't big and current is small to be managed by a single ground. PS ground for decoupling and noisy sources (some eventual digital controller in some module) is completely separate even in the 51X slots, where I use one of the pins as reference and one as PS 0V. Anyway as it's completely modular if I want to change it sometime I just have to change one small board in each channel and bus and the busses boards of corse. In which case I maybe end using crimped wires to do so.

The project stage:
  I already have the boards of the mixer designed and tested with prototype boards, also all (or almost, I think for 12 channels) the bus parts build is a board with the pan pot, assign buttons and mix pots points that connect directly to the main bus board. I also have the structure build and the front panels in process. For such a project I'm looking to a way to solve the PCB fabrication at home, I had a project for a CNC which would be used for front panels and PCB but the customs in my country make me impossible to buy the parts for it so I have to start planning again, maybe a much smaller one made out of old printer parts so I can do the boards with it and some help for the front panels. PS is also builded but not housed. When I finish the mixer it self I need to start to build 51X projects to fill it.

The project is 150miles from me, because I'm at the university so I build some parts in my holy days that are fewer and fewer, is a long term project but I can't wait to sit and mix in my own mixer... which would be in many years at this speed. Next week I have a seminar with Saul Walker (API) which I can't miss, because 1608 is my inspiration for the project... Not coping it but I looked it a lot when planning it. My summing amps and channels are my design, all DOA used with IC servos, non coupling caps, optional transformer outputs. Some DOAs are like 2520, some as Urei MOD1 and maybe some as 990 if I can build them.

JS

Latest posts

Back