Mic recommendation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Sun

Hi!

What is the best bang for buck/hour diy mic -in your opinion?

I'd like to build an U67, but it's to expensive for me I think.

What do you recommend?

I'd say the royer mic mod is a great mic for the cost. There are a lot of circuits that are great, it really depends on what you want to use it for ( vocals, acoustic instruments,..etc), what style of music, and how great of quality, or how much money is a value for you.

I'd say the good old Nady 1050 and apex 460 mods are easily the best bang for but if you want tube's and transformers. ;)

Thanks!
Large diagram, tube preferably.

Apex 460: They've changed to SMT-components, right?

Thanks!

How would you say
the Royer modded MXL 2001,
and a modded Apex 460
compares to a D-U67 and a D-U87?

Is it your first mic build? If so a mod can be satisfying because you usually start out with a working mic, so you can learn its good and bad points, and improve it in stages. And you learn stuff as you go along.

It sounds like you want a tube mic, so the Apex 460 is fun and good value, and the web is awash with mod ideas. I'd also vote for Dany's D-87 if you think a U87 style mic would add something to your setup.

For many people, mic building/modding becomes a bit of a 'habit' - so you'll probably end up doing several of the ones already mentioned!

Latest posts

Back