Mastering Insert Switchers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majestic12

Here is a stereo insert switcher for a mastering studio that I have built.
It has 10 insert points, 7&8 can be swapped in order. Four outputs, one is passive, the other three are running through an additional line buffer board.

8vvx37.jpg

34eeypy.jpg

Here is an inside pic

Switching is done via relais (as in all of my switching units). Since the switching tasks are quite easiy there is no uC neccessary, all relais are operated from pushbuttons.
The outputs are buffed by a unity gain NE5532 opamp stage.

10of9mu.jpg

Here's a new finished unit. This time with 6 stereo inserts including flip, mid / side and parallel blend options:

5tz880.jpg

21jaf4m.jpg

I have made all pcbs (except the power supply and the MS matrix) myself.

I can post schematics of the inserts but they are quite simple.

It would be nice if you post the schematics ;-), is there a way to get the pcb's or the silkscreen ?

Danny.

Majestic12 said:
I have made all pcbs (except the power supply and the MS matrix) myself.

I can post schematics of the inserts but they are quite simple.

very "nize devize" !

possible have info about push buttons with light ?
model/type/code....
supplyer/dealer....

thanks
r

Majestic12 said:
Here is an inside pic

Switching is done via relais (as in all of my switching units). Since the switching tasks are quite easiy there is no uC neccessary, all relais are operated from pushbuttons.
The outputs are buffed by a unity gain NE5532 opamp stage.

10of9mu.jpg

I just wanted to tell everybody that the circuit boards with flip option are soon available as bare pcbs, as well as completely assembled and tested modules from Wayne Kirkwood (the father of THE M/S matrix board :) ) at KA electronics.

With these boards you can make mastering grade insert switchers or even complete mastering transfer consoles yourself.

That's wonderful! I was just wondering, did you have a schematic? I am currently designing my own and it'd just be helpful to check I'm on the right lines (first 'from scratch' DIY project).

Which relays did you use? And the power supply PCB?

Looks like a wonderful end product, bravo.  :)

kiopo said:
That's wonderful! I was just wondering, did you have a schematic? I am currently designing my own and it'd just be helpful to check I'm on the right lines (first 'from scratch' DIY project).

Hi,

the schematics and documentation will soon be available on Waynes website.

I usually use relais from Takamisawa or Omron.

Power supply pcb is from JLM audio.

I am doing something similar but with xlr's since my studio is already wired xlr and trs, anyone got a pcb layout or know where I can get one that uses xlr or 1/4" trs?
Btw terrific job, looks great.

Rocinante said:
I am doing something similar but with xlr's since my studio is already wired xlr and trs, anyone got a pcb layout or know where I can get one that uses xlr or 1/4" trs?
Btw terrific job, looks great.

You can always wire xlr or trs sockets directly to the Dsub holes with some small shielded mogami wire.

I also have some boards with ribbon cable headers instead of DSUB. I maybe make some pcbs for XLR sockets that directly connect to these boards.

Majestic12 said:
kiopo said:

Hi,

the schematics and documentation will soon be available on Waynes website.

I usually use relais from Takamisawa or Omron.

Power supply pcb is from JLM audio.

Great! Any idea when? I might end up purchasing the PCBs to save a bit of time with mine.

Cheers

Speak of the devil.. just seen the update! Already bought it  ;D, hopefully the schematics will be up in the meantime!

kiopo said:
Speak of the devil.. just seen the update! Already bought it  ;D, hopefully the schematics will be up in the meantime!

Hehe...

BTW, here is a pic of a switching unit where I have soldered directly to the DSUB holes on some boards to re-wire the DSUB to customer specification.

There are also two boards with ribbon cables to have send and returns on seperated DSUB connectors.

23gz8s6.jpg

Back