looking for a resonant shelf EQ schematic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fenris said:
Designing something from scratch is beyond me.

You don´t need to, practically everything has been done and published on the net already.
There is a difference between a synth sytle voltage controlled filter, like the steiner vcf, which is mostly used in
music ´generation´, and a filter like the K&H or Neumann w495, etc with the purpose of recording and mixing. You´re probably aware, but just in case...

For the latter kind the only SallenKey implementation that I know of is the drawmer ds201, which i mentioned above.
These are used for tailoring the sidechain bandwith, and are the opposite of subtle tone controls!
I think all your descriptions scream ´state variable´! Here´s an easy one:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=45772.0

Does the resonance control in the Craig Anderton EQ actually affect the HPF and LPF? It looks like a standard state variable circuit. I found a PDF of the book but it's not explicit.

Fenris said:
Does the resonance control in the Craig Anderton EQ actually affect the HPF and LPF?
Yes it does. When the resonance is high, all three modes (LP, BP, HP) exhibit a sharp boost, which becomes the dominant character. At extreme settings all three modes will sound almost undistinguishable.

Sorry to be a pest, but I still can't get it to work. Here's the schematic of my EQ section:
http://fenrisaudio.com/monoeq.html

The high band is on the right. I cut the connection from U6b pin 7 to R38, while keeping the connection from U6b pin 7 to R63. Then I connected U1a pin 1 to R38. All I get is oscillation. Does the boost/cut circuit need to be hooked up differently?

Fenris said:
Sorry to be a pest, but I still can't get it to work. Here's the schematic of my EQ section:
http://fenrisaudio.com/monoeq.html

The high band is on the right. I cut the connection from U6b pin 7 to R38, while keeping the connection from U6b pin 7 to R63. Then I connected U1a pin 1 to R38. All I get is oscillation. Does the boost/cut circuit need to be hooked up differently?
Look at the resulting arrangement. The output of U1a goes to the inverting input of U1b (via R38 & CR13). The resulting inverted output (pin 7 of U1b) goes back to the inverting input of U1a (via R65). Perfect example of POSITIVE feedback. You need to either add an inverting stage or reinject the signal to the non-inverting input of U1a.
Please note that, after applying this fix, additional phase-shift at high frequencies, due to propagation delays in the opamps, will produce positive feedback, hence oscillations, if you don't reduce adequately the BW.

It worked! Thank you so much! I got the Z-shaped curve I was looking for, with a bump at the top of the slope and a dip at the bottom. I can probably eliminate the bump and keep the dip by combining the BP and HP outputs.

I used the unused section of U15 for the inverting amp. I should also add a DC blocking cap. How do I limit the bandwidth? Increase the value of feedback cap on U1b? Add a feedback cap to U1a?

Fenris said:
It worked! Thank you so much! I got the Z-shaped curve I was looking for, with a bump at the top of the slope and a dip at the bottom. I can probably eliminate the bump and keep the dip by combining the BP and HP outputs.
The bump and dip are related to the slope and amount of boost/cut. You can't get rid of them without seriously altering the slope. Indeed I find the dip very useful on the LF section because you can add some beef without mud. You must play with the Q control. [/quote]
How do I limit the bandwidth? Increase the value of feedback cap on U1b? Add a feedback cap to U1a?
[/quote] Don't fix a problem that doesn't exist. If the oscillations are gone for good, leave it alone.

Boost is working fine, but I'm getting what appears to be DC in the output when I cut. The sound is distorted and the channel fader crackles like it's getting DC. I put a 33 uF electrolytic cap in between the HP output and the boost/cut section, but it's still there.

Fenris said:
Boost is working fine, but I'm getting what appears to be DC in the output when I cut. The sound is distorted and the channel fader crackles like it's getting DC. I put a 33 uF electrolytic cap in between the HP output and the boost/cut section, but it's still there.
That may very well be an oscillation. Try adding small caps across the FB resistors.

Here's a video that demonstrates the Undertone Audio EQ.

http://vimeo.com/26815302

Starting at 9:00 it explains how they used a potentiometer instead of a switch to fade between a bell and a shelf. You use the "Shape" pot in conjunction with the "Q" pot to get a variety of shelf shapes. With "Shape" at 50%, increasing "Q" creates a large bump at the top of the slope and a smaller dip at the bottom of the slope. With "Shape" at 100%, it's reversed, you get a large dip and the bottom of the slope and a small bump at the top of the slope. I was able to get the 1st type of shelf, but not the 2cd type, which would be a lot more useful. It has a silky sound that I really like. Any ideas on how they accomplished this?

John Roberts mentioned combining the BP output with the HP or LP output. I tried it, but it prevents the SVF from functioning properly.

I finally found an explanation of how SVF's work, courtesy of Handbook for Sound Engineers.

At high frequency, the low-pass sections attenuate the signal so that the feedback signal is small, leaving the unaffected signal at the high-pass output. As the input frequency approaches the center frequency, the levels at both the bandpass and low-pass outputs begin to increase. This leads first to an increase in positive feedback from the bandpass section giving a damping dependent overshoot. When the input frequency is below the center frequency, the net phase shift of both low-pass sections is 180 degrees, leading to negative feedback and an attenuation of the high-pass output. The cutoff frequency of the filter in Fig. 23-18 can be changed as in the preceding circuits by varying R 1  and R 2 or  C1  and  C2  while keeping other values identical. The damping factor is varied by changing the band-pass feedback gain, controlled by the ratio of R3 and R4.

The Undertones sound good and look very flexible!
I bet it´s (at least the parametric section) done with state variable filters also.
And the shape control fades between states/outputs aka mixing different amounts of lp/bp or hp/bp outputs.
The amount of bp mix (post the feedback tap) needs to be gain x2.
The q would be bp feedback damping...

What was your issue with combining lp/hp with bp?
(I think it´s also needed to get a gentle -6dB slope from a two pole filter...?)

A short, but comprehensible explanation is here about output combinations and bp gain, etc:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-223.pdf

Back