Electro Voice V2 Velocity microphone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pH

Just came across one of these at an estate sale in great cosmetic condition, but it needs a new ribbon and is only hi z. Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering if it's worth the effort to restore and convert to low impedance, and if it approaches anything like the performance of its look-alike RCA 44BX or something else usable.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The main problems with these are…

1. Weak magnetic field
2. Transformer is Hi-Z
3. Plastic ribbon clamps are annoying.

You can find ways to fit new magnets either to the pole pieces, or with a big neodynium at the rear. The transformer is easily taken care of.

I find the ribbon clamps most annoying. They work by pushing a screw through the ribbon itself, which tends to distort or twist the ribbon. Usually I end up making new rigid clamps from scrap silver, but it can be time consuming.

Cheers!
Stewart

Thanks for the info Stewart.
Looks like it's gonna go to Shinybox Jon for a re-ribbon and some testing, will let you know how it goes...

zebra50 said:
Hi Paul,

The main problems with these are…

1. Weak magnetic field
2. Transformer is Hi-Z
3. Plastic ribbon clamps are annoying.

You can find ways to fit new magnets either to the pole pieces, or with a big neodynium at the rear. The transformer is easily taken care of.

I find the ribbon clamps most annoying. They work by pushing a screw through the ribbon itself, which tends to distort or twist the ribbon. Usually I end up making new rigid clamps from scrap silver, but it can be time consuming.

Cheers!
Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I've been thinking about sending you my V2-A (with a RESLO badge) for an upgrade,
when time/money permits.
Do you think it's a waste of time and money considering all the problems you described?

EDIT: wrong about the RESLO badge, it say's PHILCO

Best regards
Magnus

Well Jon checked mine out and says that the whole interior construction is definitely weak. Magnet has lost its power and the motor itself is made from pretty thin metal, not to mention the cheesy clamping system. So he's looking into dropping a whole new motor in mine (as he has these sorts of parts hanging around) as well as a new transformer and a re-ribbon. Not exactly a simple "tune-up."

It's a shame that the body of this looks so fine and the interior is such a disappointment.

Thanks for the info Paul.
I also really like the look of mine. I've had it for years and every once in a while I get this feeling I should turn it into something more useful than a studio gadget.

It would be very nice if you could share anything about the result of your V2 when it's in use again.

Best regards
//Magnus

>I've been thinking about sending you my V2-A (with a RESLO badge) for an upgrade,

Hello Magnus,

Please drop me a line at [email protected] and we'll take it from there!
I never saw one with a Reslo badge.

Cheers
Stewart

Latest posts

Back