DBX 21 decoder and Source Engineering Noise Suppressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitaldrummer

I got an old DBX 21 disc/tape decoder and also a "Source Noise Suppressor" by Source Engineering.  Both have RCA inputs/outputs and were obviously intended for "Stereo Hi Fi" use...  intended to take out hiss, pops, clicks, rumble, etc. no doubt.

I ran some audio ( a random drum track) through them both and when driven they make some interesting distortion and EQ changes.  I connected it through a Radial EXTC which allowed me to control the input/output levels from the DAW.  So that just got me thinking if there were some easy mods that might make it even more interesting?  but I have not been able to find any schematics or much info at all.  Heck the  "Source Noise Suppressor" doesn't even seem to exist except maybe for a couple that sold on eBay. 

anyone have any info on either of these or (by some miracle) a schematic?

thanks, Mike 

If it is a playback decoder for encoded dbx it is most likely a 1:2 expander. IIRC dbx also used some pre/de-emphaisis so probably some shelving HF cut in the decoder path.

JR

Back