Microphone head basket mesh

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bancho

Maybe this is covered somewhere else but anyway...
Is there any theory or belief about material and mesh size used for head basket mesh. There are different materials (alu, brass, copper, steel, ...) from which the so called metal fabric is made. There are also different styles of knitting (canvas, keppler,...) and of course different mesh sizes (the wire diameter and space between). Does any of these affect the sounding of microphone? Maybe the size - the denser cuts more hi freqs (?)... but what about the material and way of knitting? Is there any material which should be avoided? ...or are this just cosmetic issues?
I hope someone can elaborate... :)

Short-answer; yes.  The dimensions, layering, weave, etc come into play.  Considering the purpose of the basket, it's a game of compromises.  With a more open weave and thinner wire, obviously more high frequency material that will pass through.  From what I've gathered over the years, the shape of the basket and positioning of the capsule is far more important than most realize. 

What about different material used for the mesh... I was thinking about different metals for different layers (in more-than-one layer mesh)? Are there any considerations / drawbacks?

The G7 threads and the main site talk about materials to use. There are several Chinese mics that use the exact same circuit and capsule, but different head baskets. I am not sure, but I think there are more or less standard body sizes. Dave Thomas has a wide selection of replacement baqskets http://advancedaudio.ca/collections/diy. I suppose swapping out various would be interesting? He was skeptical about removing inner mesh on those.

Latest posts

Back