Studer A62 Playback/Rec amplifier Recap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepraqtice

Hello GroupDiy!

I recently was lucky enough to be given a Studer A62 tape machine that is now back to functioning mechanical order. :) Wonderful smooth running, quiet mechanics with very low wow and flutter.

However the electrolytic caps in the amplifiers are original... Yes, this means that somehow they have been in there since the 60's/70's. Although the repair guy who restored the machines mechanics and relays has checked all of them and none of them are leaking and seem to be behaving correctly. I'd like to do a full recap of the amplifier cards to ensure that no damage is done to the other components in the circuit and so that I can calibrate the machine and keep it running healthy for years to come.

I'd like to use audio grade capacitors similar to Panasonic FC's for the job. However due to the age of the machine, all the of the electrolytics are axial design, which seem to be a bit harder to find information about etc.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some high quality, audio grade electrolytic capacitors available in a broad range of values to use for the recap that would at least be equivalent to the capacitors when the machine was originally built (if not better) and insure a high standard of sound quality and reliability for years to come?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Why not use Radial?

Just stretch the legs and lay the bodies down flat (if needed.)

I guess that is an option yes, however the boards are quite compact both by height and across the board. So there might not be enough room for either tilting the bodies of the caps on their sides or keeping them upright. I plan on ordering all the caps online and it would be a bit of a waste of time and money if they were to turn up and then find out during recapping that they don't fit.
So i'd rather use axial caps if possible.

I was thinking maybe F&T?

Has anyone had any experience with these and know of a good reliable stockist that would deliver to the uk?

Back