balanced send -return nominal levels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi,

For balanced send/return systems in consoles, which are the usual nominal levels?

0db for the send would be ok? or -6db?
0db or -6db for the rerturn?

Thanks for your advise!

JAY X

Most  pro outboard equipment will operate at a nominal level of +4dBu so I would have thought inserts should operate at the same level.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

ok,.... but how do i reach this level...? I mean, my summing amp has a gain of 0,5 (-6db)...a typical line driver IC gives +6db... this will give 0db at output...I think i'm confusing or missing something... i have not very clear... :p Maybe i'm confusing internal circuit levels with....?? ???

JAY X

We are talking about inserts so I am not sure how the gain of your summing amp is relevant.  Balanced send/returns in consoles are usually per channel and also in the group/master outputs. All of these will have a nominal operating level, as often as not +4dBu.

I suspect you are confusing gain structure with operating level. In your original post you just asked about operating levels in console inserts.  Do you now have a specific application in mind?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian!

not too much specific application... just insert send- return in the master mix amp output. As most line drivers give +6db of gain, and the output of the mix amp is -6db, so i will have unity gain.

Thanks for your advise, i now see mor clear!

JAY X

Back