Cabling for stereo remote multi-pattern mic, and other questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

Hi guys...  I'm trying to figure out how best to fabricate my own 12-conductor cabling for an experimental dual LDC (solid-state, ala C422) remote multi-pattern mic. Budget's kind of low right now, so I'm thinking of bundling 3 or 4 lengths of mini star quad and/or lavalier cable. So, a few questions:

Is individual shielding needed for the pattern-switching wiring (max. length 25 ft) or would twisted pairs/threes suffice?

Things to watch out for (high impedance/resistance/screening problems) in wiring for remote pattern-change?

One last question: If pots are used instead of switched resistors, any concerns about DC on the potentiometer tracks? Always seemed iffy to me, but of course the infinitely-variable pattern idea is very appealing.

Thanks! Great site BTW 8>)
cheers
Dave

Thanks, I did actually think about it (for the pattern switching), just wasn't sure to what extent shielding might be a issue.

Anyway, I've ordered 100' of Mogami 2697 lav cable; will see how it goes. Four 25'  lengths will give me the 12 conductors, and should make a fairly neat/flexible bundle (wrapped in sexy blue Tekflex 8>)

Dave

Back