Locomotive Audio :: Handmade Tube Preamps & Compressors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOCOMOTIVE AUDIO :: HANDMADE TUBE RECORDING EQUIPMENT
It is my pleasure to introduce a new line of products that I’ve been passionate about for a very long time. Locomotive Audio is an exciting modern line of products based on the simple ideas of handmade, high-quality gear with an aesthetically pleasing tone of yesteryear.

INTRODUCING TWO GREAT NEW PRODUCTS
Model 286A - Dual Channel Mic Preamp & DI - Starting at $1,695 for a VERY Limited Time!
Locomotive Audio's dual channel 286A preamp offers a huge sonic palette for engineers and producers to explore. Its single-ended Class A tube signal path is what makes this preamplifier so special. The 286A features two tubes per channel; one EF806 and one 12AY7. The 286A can play nice by acting clean and natural with gentle even-order harmonics for a smooth, sweet touch. Get more aggressive with the "Gain" knob and drive the first 12AY7 stage for a warm and colored thickening effect. Go all-out and slam the final 12AY7 stage and output transformer through the "Level" knob for a fully-driven, saturated tube amp sound! Clean and natural to overdriven and fuzzy warm, your choice!

286A-Large-Solo.png

Model 14B Single Channel Compressor/Limiter - Starting at $1,695 for a VERY Limited Time!
Locomotive Audio's single channel 14B compressor and limiter is based on a very old, but still very exciting concept of rebiasing the input tube with a sidechain control voltage. The 14B is a mix of a few of our favorite compressors such as the UA 176, Gates Sta-Level and Collins 26U. The Locomotive Audio 14B and its added modern features allow it to achieve a unique sound in its own right. Starting with the semi-remote cutoff 6BC8 tube, a 12AY7 then drives two powerful push-pull 6V6 output tubes. The 14B is quite a versatile unit, with the ability to run soft and gentle or hard and aggressive. A sidechain low cut control offers even more flexibility, especially when used on the mixbus and linked with another 14B. This unit can be used on all kinds of source material including vocals, drums, guitars, bass, piano and horns. With its high quality Cinemag input and interstage transformers, the 14B has the ability to define mid-range clutter and control the peaks at the same time. The user will notice an enhancement on any material run through this unit, even when not compressing.

14B-Large-Solo.png

KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN - Starting at $1,695 for a VERY Limited Time!
We've started a Kickstarter.com campaign where we’ll be offering both of our new products, as well as some extra goodies like t-shirts, record crates and artwork. During the limited 30-day campaign you’ll find our products at amazing values which will be only available at this time. If you get in line early, you will be able to reap the rewards of being an “Early Bird” backer. Not only will you get an extremely good deal, but you’ll also get your gear sooner! Visit our http://kck.st/1obLhu6 now to see our Kickstarter campaign!

14B-open.jpg

286A-rear-angle.jpg

Visit www.locomotiveaudio.com for more information and sound samples.

Why is this here?
This is a DIY forum. Why advertising complete products here. We wanna build em ourselfs. Come up with kits or leave. :)

BTW.: they look very very tasty. Nice work.

Cheers

Mathias.

I would assume someone from here, making themselves known.  Look nice, and at an impossible intro price. 

Thanks for the replies, guys... Yes, I should have explained above. :) I have learned a lot over the past few years about these circuits by way of this amazing forum. And yes, I do want to promote my business here as we are just a tiny company trying to compete with the big boys. So, that being said, we are offering our products for one month only at these low prices. This will help pay for some of the high quantities that we were forced to buy in order to get lower piece prices...

Hope it isn't too offensive as I can see your point. If so, we will move on, but I would love your support and for people to check us out!

Thanks and best regards!

Bobby Baird said:
It would be nice if the tube pre was line level to warm up stereo mixes.

That's what input pads are for, along with DI inputs. 

I don't see a gain spec on the preamp, might want to add that. 

Very very groovy lookin pieces. unfortunately ive been working over the past couple years to get rid of all my rack gear in exchange for 500 series.

I think they look great but don't like the little toggle switches. To my eye they don't fit

Nick Froome

Somehow the gain got overlooked when adding the specs to the website... anyway thank you for bringing that to my attention as it has just been added... 64dB

Nice work.

Not that I have the spare bread at the mo, and slightly off topic, but Kickstarter sucks for international supporters.  Even Canadians - if you can manage to send a package across the continental US, how hard can it be to ship it to Canada?  Geesh.

postage has gone up , if I could buy / sell only in Canada I would for that reason
plus the taxes & paperwork
Good luck with the biz

We are now offering our products to International supporters, but because there is only one option for an added shipping fee, the cost is an extra $250 to cover us from St. Louis to Mars...

I wish there was an option to change the pricing by country. Unfortunately, there isn't...

Special Announcement at 1pm (CST) on Monday, August 18th!
We have fun news for the "backers" who purchased or will purchase the 14B Compressor or 286A Preamp before our campaign ends! We'll be posting right here, at Kickstarter and on Facebook.

Please check back for details!!

Latest posts

Back