sound flower 2 electric boogaloo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

finally got it all working and in sync.

As you may know I was getting pro tools and logic to sync via MTC and the IAC buss on a mac.  I was then using a thing called sound flower from cycling 74 which would allow me an internal patchbay in the mac so I could output of logic via sound flower and into pro tools all with in sync, well as much sync as mtc allows.

Sound flower comes in 2 flavors in the aggregate I/O audio midi setup in mac, 2 channel and 64 channel.
Anyway had a problem where using the pro tools aggregate I/O and sound flower 64 channel. It would cause pro tools to give an I/O error and say it needs to reboot only to boot up and give that same error.

Well I finally got it all working. I switched the pro tools playback device to be sound flower 64 channel.  I then did the same for logic.

I set up pro tools to generate MTC into the iac buss, set up logic to sync to mtc and set up the same time code rates.

Now I can run pro tools and when I do that and have logic set up, it plays as well.  I can then set my outs in logic and my inputs in pro tools and record them in sync.  It's pretty neat.

Tho sound flower I get when I needed it was 16 channels, good to know you could get it to work. Now, why you want to do so? I guess you like logic instruments, but why not to work the complete project on logic? why do you need (want) both? I use logic and I really like it, I never got to like PT completely, always seems slower on PT, and I worked a lot with it in a studio I worked and in university... for my projects logic since I get into mac.

JS

I like pro tools for editing.  I been using pro tools as a main daw for so long, I am just fast with it. For editing I like it.  But I do like the logic instruments in particular drummer from logic X and  the other logic instruments. I can work in real time this way and can even do midi this way so think of it as triggering soft synths but in two different programs.  I am finding this to be very handy.

That's fine, as I said I didn't like it very much PT since I started to work with it and I didn't came across to it much lately, LPX seems to work fine and fast for me, but it's a matter of taste... Is true logic has some really nice instruments, the classic keyboard emulations are quite good for be included in a DAW, the Sculpture is a really nice tool for sound design, it was very handy to me working on projects where strange sounds were needed but took a wile to catch it up completely.

Nice to know SF is capable of working with synchronization, in case I need to do so, thanks for that.

JS

well the sync is done via the IAC buss in the audio midi setup, just have it set up to be used for midi.  Then you can use it to send MTC(midi time code) so you can have the daws talking in sync

Latest posts

Back