Recording drums- crosstalk problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops said:
SNARE - if you want less spillage, don't use a condenser mic, condenser mics are more sensitive so they will pickup more of the less SPL sounds.
I'm sorry to disagree with this comon misconception.
Spillage does not depend on the actual mic technology; it depends on the directivity pattern.
It is true, indeed, that an SM57 will pick up less hi-hat, but it will also pick-up less of the high frquencies of the snare.
Personally I find a 57 lacking in terms of HF so I would EQ it with a severe dose of treble lift, which will make the hi-hat obtrusive.
With a condenser mic, I get the sound I want from the snare, and because the directivity pattern is better controlled, the spillage I get from the hats is less conflictual.
Over the years, I have found that spillage is worse when the out-of-axis rsponse is uneven.

abbey road d enfer said:
Whoops said:
SNARE - if you want less spillage, don't use a condenser mic, condenser mics are more sensitive so they will pickup more of the less SPL sounds.
Spillage does not depend on the actual mic technology; it depends on the directivity pattern.

Hi,
thanks for bringing your opinion.
My personal  experience in having record a lot of records, is not the same has yours,
with a condenser mic on the snare at the same tracking level has a 57 I pickup more room sound and more spillage from other drums instruments and cymbals in general.
Thats just my experience

abbey road d enfer said:
It is true, indeed, that an SM57 will pick up less hi-hat, but it will also pick-up less of the high frquencies of the snare.
Personally I find a 57 lacking in terms of HF so I would EQ it with a severe dose of treble lift, which will make the hi-hat obtrusive.

I have the same experience also, Treble boosting an 57 on a snare makes the hi-hat more intrusive,.
The spillage from an Hit Hat on a 57 placement to capture the sanre has some nasty filtering and is not a nice sounding spillage.
EQ makes it definetelly worse, but a lot of times is needed to brighten up a 57 snare mic.
With a rock drummer, hitting the snare hard, the problem is less of a problem, for me normally.
[/quote]

abbey road d enfer said:
With a condenser mic, I get the sound I want from the snare, and because the directivity pattern is better controlled, the spillage I get from the hats is less conflictual.
Over the years, I have found that spillage is worse when the out-of-axis rsponse is uneven.

I agree the spillage can be less conflictual with a condenser, but has I told before my experience is that more spillage you get with a condenser anyway.

"out-of-axis response is uneven"
yes the nasty filtering effect I was referring to

Thank you for your Knowledge

Whoops said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Whoops said:
Hi,
My personal  experience in having record a lot of records, is not the same has yours,
with a condenser mic on the snare at the same tracking level has a 57 I pickup more room sound and more spillage from other drums instruments and cymbals in general.
Thats just my experience
I believe we don't really disagree on this point.
The SM57 is an extremely well optimized microphone for the task, so it gives a hard time to any less well conceived mic.
Which condenser mic have you tried on the snare? There are so many and they don't perform all the same.
Most of the times brand X dynamic mics don't thrill me, but a 57 does.
I have come over the years to prefer a few condenser mics on the snare, namely the AT PRO37 and the dpa 2011C, because they give me the "crack" I like and the hat spillage is very manageable.

abbey road d enfer said:
Which condenser mic have you tried on the snare? There are so many and they don't perform all the same.
Most of the times brand X dynamic mics don't thrill me, but a 57 does.
I have come over the years to prefer a few condenser mics on the snare, namely the AT PRO37 and the dpa 2011C, because they give me the "crack" I like and the hat spillage is very manageable.

I know what you mean, and I've been trying to solve that also, there was a time I was so fed up of not having treble on a snare with a 57 that I always recorded 2 mics on it,  a dynamic paired with a condenser. To be honest in the studio I think I dont used the a 57 on a Snare for a long time now, but for Rock/Pop I still like the compression of a dynamic mic.

Condenser that I've used to mic the snare in the studio:
Schoeps CMC 5
Bruel / DPA 4011
DPA 4081 (paired with a dynamic not alone)
Neumann U87
Sontronics DM-1S
AKG C1000s (back in the day in audio school)

When I do live sound,
I use sometimes the AT ATM350 or the Shure beta 98, they're fine,
but I'm not as pick with microphones on the snare, overheads and Hat  in Live Sound if Im doing a mid or small venue.
In Live FOH I'm always picky with Kick drum mic and Tom mics.

Will try the AT PRO37 and the dpa 2011C thank you.

Whoops said:
Thats just my experience

You're not being specific. You can't just compare the SM57 to any arbitrary condenser mic and then make a broad-brush statement.

Maybe the particular condenser mic you chose has a wider pattern than an SM57? That explains completely why you get more of the other stuff .

I bet the SM57 has more spill than my snare mic of choice, the Beyer M201TG. Now, why would that be, since they're both dynamics. Maybe it's because the 201 is a supercardioid and the 57 is a cardioid?

Finally, remember this about mic patterns. They are not uniform across the audio frequency range. What we are concerned with here is HF rejection (hi hat in snare mic) which will of course vary with mic design. Some mics are very good about this (the 201), some much less so (Heil PR22 is damn near omni), and some just sound weird (ever listen to the off-axis response of the 421?).

-a

abbey road d enfer said:

I find it easier just to put a mic under the snares to get the crack without the HF boost. There are all sorts of good reasons to do this.

Too much HF boost means it's easy to clip the channel. I just ran into this mixing tracks where a second percussionist was doing snare accents and after adding enough HF boost to the channel to make it cut through, the channel just clipped, and I had to re-adjust the rest of the mix to deal with this. (Now when the band plays live, I'm going to use the under-snares mic on this second snare drum.)

And with the bottom snare mic, all you need to do is fly in the sizzle to taste.  Since its level is relatively low, leakage from the kick (and the kick pedal squeeeeeek) is minimal.

Of course I'm a live guy and I don't have the luxury of futzing around endlessly with mic position.

Andy Peters said:
abbey road d enfer said:

I find it easier just to put a mic under the snares to get the crack without the HF boost. There are all sorts of good reasons to do this.

Too much HF boost means it's easy to clip the channel. I just ran into this mixing tracks where a second percussionist was doing snare accents and after adding enough HF boost to the channel to make it cut through, the channel just clipped, and I had to re-adjust the rest of the mix to deal with this. (Now when the band plays live, I'm going to use the under-snares mic on this second snare drum.)

And with the bottom snare mic, all you need to do is fly in the sizzle to taste.  Since its level is relatively low, leakage from the kick (and the kick pedal squeeeeeek) is minimal.

Of course I'm a live guy and I don't have the luxury of futzing around endlessly with mic position.

yes definitely,
I do the same

Andy Peters said:

What we are concerned with here is HF rejection (hi hat in snare mic)

You're not being specific. You can't just compare the SM57 to any arbitrary condenser mic and then make a broad-brush statement.
-a

thanks,
I was replying to the question asked in the first post about overall spillage from the drum kit not just the Hi Hat particularly.
Then I just shared my overall experience so that I could help DrWobble in his future drum recordings.
I've talked also about polar patterns, in this case cardioid (directional) or Hypercardioid ou super cardioid (more directional but tail on the back) although I dont think it should go further when the topic is to help an inexperienced person in recording drums with each close mic picking up less from the other instruments of the drum kit, if thats the direction DrWobble wants to go.

My knowledge is based on my experience in recording records as a living, its never arbitrary.
I'm always looking to improve and to have more resources to solve or help what each particular session needs.
As about the condenser mic I tried on snare I shared that in a above post:

"
Condenser that I've used on the snare that in the studio:
Schoeps CMC 5
Bruel / DPA 4011
DPA 4081 (paired with a dynamic not alone)
Neumann U87
Sontronics DM-1S
AKG C1000s (back in the day in audio school)
"

They're all different condenser mics mainly cardioid and my opinion and experience is that:
with a condenser mic (cardioid)  on the snare at the same tracking level has an SM57, Beyer M201TG, Sen MD421, Sen MD441(dynamic microphones)  I pickup more room sound and more spillage from other drums instruments and cymbals in general.

I also own and use the Beyer M201TG on the snare with lovely results,
I highly recommend that microphone also.

Thank you

Andy Peters said:
abbey road d enfer said:

I always have a bottom mic on the snare (usually an MTG300). I'm talking about the crack from the top skin.
Too much HF boost means it's easy to clip the channel.
My suggestion was to add just what is needed to make up for the relative lack of HF of the 57. A condenser mic may also clip more easily the channel, if not set properly. But in the end, a condenser gives better results for me.

I've used a mic between the snare and the BD, not between the body of each one but to get the kick and the bottom of the snare. Then I make a copy of this track and use one as second track for the BD and one as a bottom of the snare, trigger it with a gate for each one and I think a compressor crossed (compressing Sn 2nd mic with DB and the other way around to avoid some problems) and it worked pretty fine, when a lot of mics are needed and you are short on channels and I wanted 2 mics on Sn and DB this came useful, taking advantage of the crosstalk and using one mic for both tasks. Also using 2 mics on the snare makes it more easy to avoid the problem of the hi hat, because you don't need so much HF content on the upper mic since you can have some of it from the bottom, the bottom mic has phase reversed but also some delay, compensating for this isn't a bad idea, moving the track is on way to do it but not the best, there is a plugin, I can't remember the name, which will do it for you, to 1 sample precision. Alignment on all the different mics of the set isn't always perfect but with this plugin, aligning to overheads or som far mic may be a good idea. There's also a plugin to combine better the BD with the bass, in order to get better LF response and interaction between them, I've tried it but never a serious job so I can't say it's the way to go or if it does any good, but it does something. From sound radix has some interesting tools for this kind of task, but this is not about spillage or crosstalk but phase alignment to get a better sum between mics.

JS

joaquins said:
There's also a plugin to combine better the BD with the bass, in order to get better LF response and interaction between them, I've tried it but never a serious job so I can't say it's the way to go or if it does any good, but it does something.
JS

Hi JS,
do you remember the name of that plugin?

Whoops said:
joaquins said:
There's also a plugin to combine better the BD with the bass, in order to get better LF response and interaction between them, I've tried it but never a serious job so I can't say it's the way to go or if it does any good, but it does something.
JS

Hi JS,

It was one of the sound radix plugins, and it's easy, they only have 3, the surfer EQ, which is quite strange eq, which follows your fundamental, I think it may be good for a synth or a bass guitar to tweak the timbre rather than tone, maybe, I didn't work with those, just tried them. Then the other two plugins are for alignment, one for multiple tracks of the same source like multiple mics on a guitar cab or maybe combined sources as a drum kit, the other is for this task, I can't remember which is which. I think audo align is the first and PI is the last one.

JS

joaquins said:
Whoops said:
joaquins said:
JS

Hi JS,

It was one of the sound radix plugins, and it's easy, they only have 3, the surfer EQ, which is quite strange eq, which follows your fundamental, I think it may be good for a synth or a bass guitar to tweak the timbre rather than tone, maybe, I didn't work with those, just tried them. Then the other two plugins are for alignment, one for multiple tracks of the same source like multiple mics on a guitar cab or maybe combined sources as a drum kit, the other is for this task, I can't remember which is which. I think audo align is the first and PI is the last one.

JS

Thanks JS, Will check it out

Since I wrote this thread, I havn,t visited this forum as I had a problem with picking up malicious malware on some posts elsewhere in the forum.

That aside, I havn't resolved the issue with spill. Having read all your replies and thought about this problem this is due to several factors.

In answer one question, I,m recording "rock" drums. I,m trying to get the sound  of those early Sabbath  Bill Ward recordings. On the first Album you can hear the crisp highs and also tight bass/kick drum. All Ihave got so far is a boomy kick bleeding into the snare and vise versa, which is hard to sort out with EQ.

Which is going to be hard as,I'm a crap drummer. My main instrument which I write my songs on is a guitar and sometimes a piano. I can play the bass guitar quite well  and fumble along with simple keyboards/piano. But there's no way I can do everything. So I've had to have a re-think untill I can find a drummer. However, not sure if anyone here has heard of a band called Low. There's a guy on guitar ,a bassist and a lass who plays a simple drum kit and sings. She uses a floor tom instead of a bass/kick, a snare and a cymbal. I,ve found this setup easier to record., and quite effective and preferable to a drum machine.

The other issue you ve helped me identify is mic choice. I havnt got one to be honest as my only cardioid is a Sennheiser E825s. So I need to save up for a decent cardioid. I,ve looked at the EV RS 15/20 etc as well as others. I need more more cash to be honest.

Thirdly,as far as using software to "clean" the drums up, I'm averse to this, as I prefer to use as little artificial enhancement as possible. I hate most modern recordings, finding them over produced.,and lacking in emotion/sprit/oomph call it what you will.

Thanks again for all your input, really appreciate it chaps. Andy.

a couple of points:

1)  the drummer and his drumkit will have a huge influence on the final sound. you like bill ward, many would say that bonham's sound is unique and so on. if you want "to use as little artificial enhancement as possible" you will have a hard time reaching those sounds without that drummer. in early 2000 i used to work in  a pretty decent studio with a good room, a very good drum, excellent microphones and a decent board. we used to have different session drummers come in, they all were very good players, still they all made a hugely different sound. this is part of the good though: use differences as a weapon to get your sound, not as a mean to not get somebody's else.

2) as for snare mic choice, i've used litteraly a thousand different mics, but i always fall back on the 57. i just like it. it's simple and punchy, and it gives me that 100-200Hz of oompf and that 4-7kHz crack that i like to slightly eq to good use. on that though you will still have the spill of everything else: oh mics, hh mic, other snare mics (bottom mic, dubled top condenser mic if you use one). if you don't gate toms and want them "modern sounding", you'll find that an eqed tom will hugely change the snare sound. thus i usually mute them - it's been done for ages, you can do it in a daw nowadays, i don't get why you "don't like it"; the first ssl with full vca automation came in the late '70, and i don't think they were the first out there; i guess your sabbath early '70s albums were already muted as needed.

3) as for placement, if you have a cardioid, just aim it's rear towards the hh. get the drummer help you out with position, go as much as you can, the more the merrier, and you'll see spill greatly diminish. if it's an hypercardioid, go for that 270 degrees, or the rear will pick up. as for different frequencies rejected, it's due to diffraction, it's a physical law that no mic shape will ever be able to overturn, so higher frequencies will always be rejected more.

4) as for different and radical drumsets, i find it cool, and i've recorded a few, just don't expect to sound like a normal drumset in the end. i've once had a jazz drummer that played his snaredrum without the snares, and used a bag of clamshells instead. he then later complained that it didn't sound like a snaredrum. go figure.

on a further note, i really don't understand those that think that back in the '60s '70s '80s and so on they wouldn't use any single piece of equipment to enhance and alter dramatically  their recorded sound. i find it naive that people think that studio work is like a live concert. think of it as a movie: you tell a story, but when you look at an actor that wakes up, you buy the story but you don't really think the guy woke up in that moment. studio work since les paul in the '50s has been about building the emotion, not about recording a live session.

DrWobble said:
Since I wrote this thread, I havn,t visited this forum as I had a problem with picking up malicious malware on some posts elsewhere in the forum.

That aside, I havn't resolved the issue with spill. Having read all your replies and thought about this problem this is due to several factors.

In answer one question, I,m recording "rock" drums. I,m trying to get the sound  of those early Sabbath  Bill Ward recordings. On the first Album you can hear the crisp highs and also tight bass/kick drum. All Ihave got so far is a boomy kick bleeding into the snare and vise versa, which is hard to sort out with EQ.

Which is going to be hard as,I'm a crap drummer. My main instrument which I write my songs on is a guitar and sometimes a piano. I can play the bass guitar quite well  and fumble along with simple keyboards/piano. But there's no way I can do everything. So I've had to have a re-think untill I can find a drummer. However, not sure if anyone here has heard of a band called Low. There's a guy on guitar ,a bassist and a lass who plays a simple drum kit and sings. She uses a floor tom instead of a bass/kick, a snare and a cymbal. I,ve found this setup easier to record., and quite effective and preferable to a drum machine.

The other issue you ve helped me identify is mic choice. I havnt got one to be honest as my only cardioid is a Sennheiser E825s. So I need to save up for a decent cardioid. I,ve looked at the EV RS 15/20 etc as well as others. I need more more cash to be honest.

Thirdly,as far as using software to "clean" the drums up, I'm averse to this, as I prefer to use as little artificial enhancement as possible. I hate most modern recordings, finding them over produced.,and lacking in emotion/sprit/oomph call it what you will.

Thanks again for all your input, really appreciate it chaps. Andy.

Andy Peters said:
(Having said that, the best snare mic is the Beyer M201TG.)

Yepp - don't forget to try it on the HH also. Especially if the HH sounds harsh  ;)
Someone said the 201 is the mic that a 57 always wanted to sound like.  ;D

Another usefull one from Beyer: A pair of MC-930 for OH (and other things like Guitars, Pianos, etc.)

DrWobble said:
In answer one question, I,m recording "rock" drums. I,m trying to get the sound  of those early Sabbath  Bill Ward recordings. On the first Album you can hear the crisp highs and also tight bass/kick drum. All Ihave got so far is a boomy kick bleeding into the snare and vise versa, which is hard to sort out with Eq

Those recordings were done with minimal micing.  Mic on the Kick and Snare and a couple of high quality overhead mics. The sound comes from the kit and primarily from Bill Ward.  If you kit sounds like crap or if you can't play well your recording will reflect that. Kick leaking into the Snare is a  non problem, they didn't use gates, just a great player on a well tuned kit. Look up Glynn John's micing technique and go from there.

Mark

Back