Where to get VCA's, Anyone ever built an GSSL with THAT's.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

Hi.
Has anyone ever used THAT's to make the SSL CLone. I was told by their tech department that I would want to change the 100p in the channel strip to a 22p for greater band width when using the THATs, but I don't want to mess anything up.
Also does anyone have 4 to 6 THAT vca's? THAT only sells them in rolls of 25.
Thank you.

Check the SSL Clone Meta thread. There's an entire thread devoted to using the THAT VCA's for the SSL. Long story short, yes, lots of us are using them with no problems.

As far as ordering, I recommend you just order the 25 piece lot and sell the rest here. You'll have no problem selling them out in no time.

hi,
I am working on this project too,
but i thought, that the THAT´s
in every way are the best for it.
They are better than the dbx2150,
and of course better than the
original dbx202.
That is the thing, what the ThAT
company says self.
Where you found the information,
that a capacitor is to change?

I have problemless purchased 3
vca´s from ThAT.

regards,
dave

[quote author="rf"]I used a pair of Mackie CR1604 / OTTO's for my mixing rig in the early '90s. had forgotten all about them in the garage junk pile...

Opened one up and there are around 28 THAT 2150s in there! After my hand is healed, I will attempt to unsolder some.[/quote]

The Behringer "Cybermix" also contains some 32 2150-type vca's.. As well as a psu, suitable for a clone..

Jakob E.

in a cybermix i once had...
there were 32 real THAT 2150 inside.

Threw the thing out as i kept on loosing detail whenever it was routed with my Soundtracs mixer.

For the money i got i could now buy, well a power supply, 32 vca's and a 2" housing i assume...

They still go to expensive on evilbay to start sourcing them for the VCA's me thinks.

I have a Cybermix....but the THAT's (2159) are machine soldered and very hard to get off the board....I've given up. The Behringer Protector 8-ch limiter has 8 THAT's as well and they're easy to get out.

...if anyone has tips on how to take the VCA out of the Cybermix I'm all ears :razz:

Morten

Morten,

Outdoors - and a heat gun. Slowly heat the pcb from the track side, a small area at a time. When solder is fluid, components are easy to peel out (but hot).

Do NOT inhale fumes.

Try not to heat too much.

Jakob E.

Hi all, sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a cybermix and like most people cant be bothered with it mostly, mainly due to the crappy software interface.But what i wondered is - do any of you with far higher technical ability than me (not hard ;-p ) think that we could turn this unit into a virtual dynamics processor, in the way that amek supertrue vca automation can be used for smpte'd vca volume control, or real time compression/gating etc on every channel instead 9no smpte needed).
Whaddaya think?Guessing somebody'd have to write some software, but maybe the unit could already do this in terms of the hardware?

Sorry for the hijack!

Take it easy yallz

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. off to work to find the abandodned mackie otto unit in our spares draw and crack it for vca's!

think that we could turn this unit into a virtual dynamics processor

Serial interface would be too slow. There's no A/D to interface the other way. And we'd need the original control code for the unit in order to interface to it at all.

So the short answer is no.

Jakob E.

i'm interested to hear what you mean by changing the 100p to 22p.. which one are you talking about? In the GSSL i assume, on the feedback of the 5532's?

interesting..

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn124.pdf
http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn137.pdf

..I haven't been able to spot any difference in this (other than that the 218x's sounds better than the 2150's)

Jakob E.

the datasheets for the 2181 and 2151 show a table with values for the feedback cap around 22p to 47p, the datasheet for the 2180 shows 47p value. these also show different feedback resistors though, 20k instead of 15k as Gyraf has.

the datasheet does say this:
"Capacitor C3(the feedback cap) may be reduced in value to as low as 22pf in order to increase the circuit bandwidth if desired."

I don't expect that much higher bandwidth, but it's worth a try..

:thumb:

Yea, I had a conversation with one of the tech's at THAT. I went over briefly with him the lines coming out of the VCA, because I'm a new to most of this and he originally said that a few minor adjustments should be made if using the THATs. Anyways, removing the 10K and 68R from pin 4 of the vca because you don't need a trim. Also, he suggested that using a 22p instead of a 100p would significantly increase the bandwidth. It wouldn't have mattered on the 2150s because they don't have the bandwidth capacity of the newer THATs.
This is all according to him, I know nothing. Anyways, I don't want to change to a 22p if it will significantly change the sound.

By the way, I'll probably be buying 25 of them and need 9. So if interested I will be selling off the rest for what I payed for them.

[quote author="Coldsnow"]By the way, I'll probably be buying 25 of them and need 9. So if interested I will be selling off the rest for what I payed for them.[/quote]

I'm in for 4 of them!

Let me know pricing and shipping info (I'm in MA.)

Peace,
Al.

Hi gyraf.Thanks for setting me straight, i'd thought the return half might be a problem.Sorry again everybody for the hijack ;-p

I do have one more question though - the mackie otto 1604 unit, the vca's aren't in the little half rack breakout box are they?I guess they are on the daughterboard that fits into the mixer.Got the breakout box only - somebody bought a used mackie 1604 from the music store where I work, and forgot the manual and the external box.Damn, thought i'd scored loads of THATs for some clones!

take it easy and thanks for your patience with my periodic daft questions!

Cheers,

Paul Fury 161

Latest posts

Back