C414 Roached - Suggestions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

I have a C414 Body that was "lost" during Sandy, tried replacing the capsule since most of the internal circuitry looks to be alright.  It passes signal, but sounds aweful (lots of static and popping and crackling.)  this is a XLS version so it has the push buttons not the switches. ( :( )  Just wondering if anyone had any suggestion as to what I could do with the body to maybe make it into something usable again.  The square shape and TINY area to work would limit what could be done.  Was thinking of doing a royer mod type thing but i dont think theres even enough room to fit that christmas light bulb of a tube in there with the big orange cap.

Of course you can fit a tube circuit in it (if you are a mad scientist like this guy). Scroll down for the 8th pitcure :)

http://verdeaudio.com/index.php?page=noise-of-microphones

I cleaned the mic as best i could.  There was rust damage on some of the buttons.  Im sure some of the caps have been damaged beyond a cleaning and with everything being SMD component and not having a schematic to follow to replace any of it, i figured i should probably start fresh.  One thing i noticed is how small the capsule is in that thing.  I put a regular 1" capsule in there and the little shockmount rubber thing is barely keeping it up.

Pasarski thanks for the link.  Something to definitely consider.

As it turns out, AKG will replace the mic for $375 +shipping for out of warranty items... not bad.  Thats probably what i'd put into it for a good capsule and parts.

You might try cleaning the board with something serious (alcohol, acetone, etc... don't know what the strongest thing you can use without destroying components) and then using paint on conformal coating (the high impedance parts of the circuit are very sensitive to moisture.).

But 375 for an 414 isn't bad.  I like mine.

Latest posts

Back