Hafler P-3000 amp..? ( Repair Request?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchman

Hello.. My Hafler P-3000 amp sorta went south on me. I used it the night before, worked fine..Came back two days later, powered everything up, no signal from Hafler..!. :eek:..It's not "seeing" any audio coming into it via the input jacks..I though maybe it could be my interface but it's passing audio out of the headphones and you can see my DAW putting out signal on the MasterBus. I checked the fuse in the Hafler but it seems fine. I then ran a CD player directly into the line inputs of the P-3000, but there's not a signal present light on or any of the LEDs light up. The on/off rocker switch light is on, that's it. Actually, I left it on for a while and it didn't even warm up ( it usally pretty warm in when working) but the on/off light is on.Any thoughts..? Thanks ahead of time..

Maybe an internal fuse, but just blind shooting... easy to check, I would start there and if it's not think in something else.

JS

Hello..Thanks for the replys so far. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the workings/have repaired the Hafler amps? if so, would you be interested in taking a look at mine? It's too far above my skill/tool levels ( :-[). If so give me a PM and we can talk details..Thanks!

Snatchman said:
Hello..Thanks for the replys so far. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the workings/have repaired the Hafler amps? if so, would you be interested in taking a look at mine? It's too far above my skill/tool levels ( :-[). If so give me a PM and we can talk details..Thanks!
Hello..As I've tried to still get this going, I notice that now when I power on the amp, nothing happens. What I mean is when it was working, when you turned it own there was  light " thump" from the amp, the lights in the ceiling would dim and everything would be normal.

start with PSU as suggested. Depending on the chips inside  can get an idea of what it's supposed to put out.

from there tone and an o-scope so you can at least get down to the area.

Good info above,  Just adding, check your power switch for continuity .  I have replaced these before on a Hafler.  simple but overlooked sometimes.

fazer said:
Good info above,  Just adding, check your power switch for continuity .  I have replaced these before on a Hafler.  simple but overlooked sometimes.
Hello..Thanks for the reply.. So you are saying that the on/off switch will cause it to not " come on" if it's faulty? Reason I ask as when I switch it on, the green LED light for " on" lights up, but don't seems to be supplying power other than that.Kinda makes me think something like this because I switched it off one night it was fine, couple days later when I switched it back on, nothing..

Its not as likely but the Led in the switch could still be working but the switch not passing power.  With the amp unplugged,  check continuity across the switch with a DVM (ohm setting).    It should show low ohms switched on.  Again unplug the amp first from the AC before you check anything.

fazer said:
Its not as likely but the Led in the switch could still be working but the switch not passing power.  With the amp unplugged,  check continuity across the switch with a DVM (ohm setting).    It should show low ohms switched on.  Again unplug the amp first from the AC before you check anything.
Hello..I checked the switch with DVM. with the switch off nothing ( of course.. ???.., but with switch in on position it reads 000.. This is correct I assume?.OK to check PSU which leads do I need to be on ( actually first time with DVM.. :-[) and the setting is still infinity? Thanks..Oh yeah, the amp is disconnected.. ;D..

Maybe you already have a manual for your amp, if not go to http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/MAN1461C_P1500_P3000_man.pdf
This has the voltages to measure.  The voltages in the amp can be lethal so proceed with extreme caution.  If you can't read the schematics,  It would be best to get a tech involved in the amp. 

Look at the manual schematic and check voltages at your own risk. 
This is an SMD construction I believe, so its very small parts and therefore very tight to check points. If your hand touches a voltage while the other touches the case ground you will get the voltage across your heart and could be electrocuted.  I advise a tech check this one further due to your inexperience.   

fazer said:
Maybe you already have a manual for your amp, if not go to http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/MAN1461C_P1500_P3000_man.pdf
This has the voltages to measure.  The voltages in the amp can be lethal so proceed with extreme caution.  If you can't read the schematics,  It would be best to get a tech involved in the amp. 

Look at the manual schematic and check voltages at your own risk. 
This is an SMD construction I believe, so its very small parts and therefore very tight to check points. If your hand touches a voltage while the other touches the case ground you will get the voltage across your heart and could be electrocuted.  I advise a tech check this one further due to your inexperience. 
Hey Fazer..Thanks for the reply..Yeah I guess you are right. I thought it might be sumthing as simple as the switch but since it seems to be working, I'll see can I find a tech. You game..?.. ;D

I only work on my own equipment in my studio.  I also send out gear I'm not qualified to service or need special equipment for.  Amps are heavy so its best to find a tech in your area.  Check music gear/ pro audio repair as well.  These techs should be able to get you going.    Good luck. 

Michael

Hello..I've decided to sell this as not being able to repair this myself, too expensive to send out for repair. maybe one of you can take advantage of my stoopidness.. ;D..Info in Blackmarket

Latest posts

Back