Interstage transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi all

Quick one for you. I'm trying to figure out the principal of the interstage transformer in the Pultec circuit. Exactly, why the HS-29 is wired in reverse on the primary? The filter section goes out into pin 4 of the HS-29, instead of pin 1, who goes to gnd. On the secondary, Pin 5 goes to 12AX7 pin 2 and pin 8 to 12ax7 pin 7. Is it a mislabeling or there's a reason why reversing the primary? On the cayocosta layout, the secondary of the transformer is reversed, instead of the primary so this let me think that there's something here is didn't catch yet. Thanks for your time guys.

::)

Functionnally, there is no difference. If the polarity must be reversed, doing so at the primary or the secondary is identical.
However, the stray capacitance is not identical on the two sides of a high impedance winding (or any winding, but the effects are less on low-Z windings). By construction, the start of winding has more capacitance to the core than the end.
It is quite likely that experimenting would show differences in the HF response.

No really a problem, i just wanted to understand why they hook the primary in "reverse" and why some people using the sowter interstage hook the secondary in reverse. In other words, why hooking one side in reverse ? I plan using a cinemag transformer for the interstage, with the help of David from cinemag. He sais there was no particular reason to hook his transformer such a way. If it's just to get the best hf response (high filter ???) then it's pretty simple to understand haha. Maybe CJ you got other particular explanation here?  Thanks for your help by the way :D

Latest posts

Back