MK67 - new U67 clone coming up

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

MK67_Render_1~0.jpg

After the time-consuming MK-U47 i finally found some time to sit down and finalize the design
of my version of a U67 clone which i started more than two years ago.

I tried to stay close to the original design - unlike other mics everything for the U67 is still available (incl. the original tube)
All HiZ connections are isolated from the PCB including the switches and switchboard.
HiZ resistors and caps are mounted on a acrylic disc for low noise operation even after years of use.

Pcb arrangement and placing of components closely follow the original to avoid
messing with the complex filter and feedback network of the U67.

The Pcb / acryl design is ready so I'll go ahead and to prototyping in the next few days to compare the mic amplifier response
with a pristine original Neumann U67. During testing i'll also explore various modifications to bring up the timbre ever so slightly.

This kit is designed to fit Chunger's SYT-5 bodies and a bundle will become available through his store.
He's also hopefully willing and finds time to make one of his great pictorials for this project.

-Max

nice work max... i'll be happy to proto this with you.. I've got a spare SYT-5 sitting here.

you may want to put the coupling cap from the top board down the side of the tube like i did here http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=56425.0 to allow the user to use whatever size cap they like. Unless you feel there is enough space horizontally behind the transformer.

J

That's a great build, Jess! I think there's enough space for the cap, but i'll think about it - thanks for the hint!
Some more renders:

MK67_Render_5.jpg

MK67_Render_2.jpg

MK67_Render_3.jpg

MK67_Render_4.jpg

Why don't you go with TLM67 route ? OK it is expensive, but this way a more people could afford "real U67. I would definitively go that route, than buy a real and questionable microphone from 40 years ago ... BTW great idea! If you buy a metal parts from Flea, the price is almost the same as real used TLM67, but you get original metal parts and
real KK87 capsule!

That's certainly a possibility but i guess only a few people would gp that road - but i'll keep in mind to re-fit the Pcb for the original housing, shouldnt be too difficult to make a version.

Very nice! I have an EF86 just waiting for those SYT-5 bodies to be in stock. I'm planning on going with a new Neumann K67 capsule. Is that what you'll be using in your test, Max?

Beautiful!

This just gets better and better!

In your opinion, how much difference to the sound will the Syt5 body make compared to the original?

Cheers
Moshe

ioaudio said:
That's certainly a possibility but i guess only a few people would gp that road - but i'll keep in mind to re-fit the Pcb for the original housing, shouldnt be too difficult to make a version.

It calls to replace this .... :
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

ioaudio said:
That's a great build, Jess! I think there's enough space for the cap, but i'll think about it - thanks for the hint!
Some more renders:

Thanks, it took me some serious planning.. i used digital calipers to measure a rented original u67. I'd be down to work with you on the tlm / u87 replacement parts and it would have to also be dedicated to Oliver as this one was inspired for me to build because of him, he was making them for cathedral guitar and helped me a little with my build... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRcJoKnLi-Y

Beautiful work with the renders brother..

I can see you even located the 40hz low cut jumper in its original position behind the tube. nice. the only thing that bugs me about that body is the switches.

J

Well the switches themselfes aren't the problem - as long as the HiZ contacts don't touch the Pcb board.
Here they are fed through a cutout to the acrylic board.

MK67_Render_6.jpg

ioaudio said:
Well the switches themselfes aren't the problem - as long as the HiZ contacts don't touch the Pcb board.

Perfect. Yes I thought you had soldered the switches in place.

J

JessJackson said:
ioaudio said:

Perfect. Yes I thought you had soldered the switches in place.

J

Yes - after all the capsule and grid connections go directly to the switches s3 and s5, so those connections must be well isolated.
Of course, the grounding must be done proberly as well.

Excellent project Max.  Another vote for the resizing the PCBs for the TLM67 housing when you can, I would commit to buying that.

I own one of the very limited run of 67 re-issues that Neumann did in the '90s, let me know if you need anything.

Cheers,
Ruairi

ioaudio said:
I will certainly also work out a U87/Tlm67 compatible version.

And with AC701K tube we could make also M269(c) version .... For the fraction of the price ...

Yes!!!!!!

Melodeath00 said:
Wow, you guys are committed to that proper U67 body size. Isn't that TLM67 housing pretty pricey?

Sure, I am.  That's what DIY is about right?  We all get to build what we want individually.  I love the idea of people building what they want and can afford.

ruairioflaherty said:
Melodeath00 said:
Wow, you guys are committed to that proper U67 body size. Isn't that TLM67 housing pretty pricey?

Sure, I am.  That's what DIY is about right?  We all get to build what we want individually.  I love the idea of people building what they want and can afford.

Sure. I am just surprised. There's more people than I would have thought interested in that avenue. I would also go that route if I had more money!

Latest posts

Back