• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: 175B TUBE COMPRESSOR - V2 Black Ops Edition By DRIP ELECTRONICS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootyfox

I have to sell one of my 175B Tube Compressors/Limiters which I built a couple of years ago.

attachment.php

This is the more expensive version 2 "Black Ops" edition with the black PCB. Which are not available anymore. Here is my built-thread for this unit: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/diy-electronic-build-refurbishment-photo-diaries/742048-drip-175b-compressor-build-photo-diary.html

100% working, no issues!

I took great care to build this as neatly and beautiful as possible! - only high end components were used such as Sprague Atom capacitors,Sowter Transformers, NOS RCA and GE tubes, hand selected NOS Carbon Comp resistors, Hammond Power xformer etc.

The input transformer is the Sowter 1009e (originally made for the 1968 LA-2A)

http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/1009.htm

For output transfomer I chose the Sowter 9900s which was designed for the Federal AM 864U and Fairchild 660 Compressor. It's max output is +36dBu hittt

Important: The unit is set for 220VAC. For use with different voltages I recommend a simple stepdown transformer for around 20USD..

Price: Make Offer!
Payment via Paypal (split fees please) or Bank Transfer or of course cash upon pickup.

I will be shipping from Hamburg, Germany, via DHL worldwide. But be warned, this unit very heavy thanks to those four huge transformers, so please contact me or an exact shipping quote to your country.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow, beautiful build! But 2k is quite something, that's at least double than the cost of building one. Kinda hard to swallow in a DIY forum..

But I guess I can understand the reasons..

Hi, I understand how this might come across, the way I figured this:

The build cost for one unit was around 1200 Euro (including customs and shipping):

Sowter trafos: 377 Euro
Case: 112 Euro
Drip PCB: 210 Euro (june 2012)
Tubes: 53 Euro (October 2012)
Mouser: 188 Euro
eBay: don't ask.

There was a LOT of eBay for various missing parts, more tubes (and mistakes even), bespoke NOS Carbon Comp Resistors, vintage Bakelite Knobs etc - different sellers, lots of shipping.

I guess the remaining 800 Euro are a blend of the blood, sweat and tears and time this cost me (considering that this was my third ever DIY project), and this compressors actual performance & quality.

I do agree though that it might indeed be silly to try and sell this here, where most users are pretty used to all of the above and even might be able to finish one of these in a day with less cost and sweat involved  :-[

Bump to say,
Not that it isn't worth it, or for the chance offering
it's just harder to sell anything these days, best wishes.

Yeah, I didn't mean to criticize the asking price. If you were to divide these 800 Euro by the countless hours needed to source the parts and then actually build it, you would probably end up with a lousy pay by the hour.

But considering you're almost in the ballpark of a used Retro 176 for example, I think you'll have a hard time getting this much money out of it.

In my experience from selling DIY gear, you usually get out of it about what you put into it financially and no more. But good luck!

Back