The 'POMMIE' 4 band passive EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I recently received an enquiry about building a 4 band passive EQ based on the Universal EQ board. After some discussion it turned out that what was needed was four bands of peaking EQ similar to that in the Manley Massive Passive. It turns out that the massive passive is very similar to the Universal EQ's two mid mands in that is has the same peak-off-cut switch, a Q control and a gain control. You can probably squeeze three bands out of the Universal EQ board by adding a peak-off-cut switch to the hi boost but it won't do  four bands. So I had a look at the PCB layout and I reckon that if you take out everything but the mid band EQs you could squeeze four of them into that PCB. I am a little concerned about interactions between bands for that same reasons I was with the Universal EQ. If you read the Manly blurb they try to make a virtue of it. On the other hand they have lots of tubes per channel so their could be quite a bit of isolation going on.

Anyway, I wondered if such a 4 band EQ would be of interest to anyone. Doing the PCB should be easy but I'll need to do some sims to look at the interaction between bands. Of course, as the four circuits are completely separate on the PCB then builders can put buffers between stages or pairs of stages if they wish. I thought I would call it the Poor Man's MIni Eq or POMMIE for short.

Thought?

Cheers

ian

Ian,

I would be after the filter sections only if that is any good to you. Dependng on the freq selecton.

What were you thinking of the bandwidth limit?

Best
Peter

petermontg said:
Ian,

I would be after the filter sections only if that is any good to you.

Best
Peter

Not quite sure I am 100% with you there. The PCB would be the filter sections only. Everything else would be external just as in the Universal EQ. Is that what you had in mind or have I missed something?

Cheers

Ian

Back