Toroids in la2a?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheath

Has anybody here tested this and what are your experience from it?

There seems to be a lot of discussions about transformer related hum and noise so I was thinking it could be solved with toroid transformer… perhaps?

Best regards

/John

I seem to remember the originals were built with the PT outside the main chassis which tends to keep the heavy magnetic interference away from the sensitive parts of the circuit. Today we tend to put the whole lot inside a steel box, PT and all which in some ways is just asking for trouble.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, exactly my observation. Of course there are some advantages by stuffing it all together but problems with noise is way to evident while reading posts here for instance.

I saw  a post that referred to keep the PT in its own box… that might work even though it is a bit more inconvenient to move it around.

Cheers

/John

most D-LA2As use the toroid power transformer I sell.

While I'm biased I would say the D-LA2A is a very low noise unit,
no PSU noise (if you don't put the power switch in the middle of your front panel).

Ok…interesting. Do use one or two toroids? And what are the specifications on those?

Best regards

/John

We use one for a stereo unit.
However, the heater windings are separated for each channel.

The specs are:
- Primaries: 115V + 115V
- Secondary 1: 2x 250V / 2x0,05A
- Secondary 2: 2x  6,3V / 2x2,00A
- Secondary 3: 1x    9V /    1,00A

Secondary 3 is for relays and such things, not really necessary.

Nice :) And I suppose that you could get it for 230v (as in Sweden)?

And if so…is it certified for use in Sweden/ Europe… and how much is it? :)

Best regards

/John

It is 115V + 115V (so usable worldwide), ta 40/E 50/60Hz n. EN 61558 certified and made in germany ;-)
It costs a fortune, like EUR 36,60 + shipping + 19% german VAT if shipped to Sweden.

Latest posts

Back