first smartphone recommendations?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabtek

is there audio editing software for smartphone

or 'test set' app

what platform is best?

how does one make this choice

I'd really prefer a landline but need to get with the times...plus my contract is up for renewal and the old fliphone is intermittent

I'm in exactly the same boat here.  Several of the Samsung phone seem interesting to me, but then there are some folks I know who are 100% "iPhone snobs" and think anything else is junk.

Bri

I am not an apple fanboy, but if you talk about audio recording and music apps on a phone, you talk about an Iphone. Android phones had problems in the past with latency and the integration of external usb audio interfaces.

iPhones are expensive but they really do offer a fantastic user experience.  The pervading narrative is that the many millions of people who enjoy their iPhone have somehow been brainwashed.

Get a couple of friends to talk you through their phones and how they use them, some of the Samsung cameras are excellent for example.

Personally I prefer the closed loop that is the Apple store, there seem to be way too many rogue droid apps.

I was an Iphone user, i had the 3G, and the phone still works now no prob actually, it's been maybe 5years now, gotta admit that if taken care of these devices last pretty long, no prob whatsoever on my side, not the same for other friends of me that own newer model and now break their iphones like if it was a bar mitzvah.

I left Iphone, for their secluded politic, but gotta admit that in terms of graphics and maybe simplicity Iphone seem to be better.
Jailbreak would be a good move tough on that platform :p.
Of course Iphone and Audio seem to mathc well in terms of apps and all of course....
Still possible to use a DAC for if one wants a "better" sound on Android.

Now the choices are so vast that i'm not sure if Iphone can really keep up with it.
Some Chinese manufacturers provide some cheap but yet very powerful phones (on paper) eg Wiko Highway.

Right now i'm using a Galaxy S2, and i needed to make a factory reset to get back to something "cleaner".
But I'm considering an Acer phone as we speak, because of the Dual/Triple SIM options and big battery pack eg Acer Liquid E700
Beside the "premium" models there is a loads of good options, for a descent price...

T.

EDIT: of course if you can get a premium for a decent price, then any Samsung/Apple/Sony would do i guess...
I can't get a decent price for a premium with my provider so i go medium class, but if i could, Sony Z2 would be a nice
option, a rugged design, a friend of me dropped his Z1 in his washing machine by accident, came out Safe.

I'm not an iPhone person. I've tried IOS and Android and find android preferable, but as has been pointed out in this thread, iPhone seems to have a better range of useable audio related applications.

One thing I'll mention which may be of interest is the availability of the Google Nexus Android phone. I believe the current model is v5. It is sold contract free and not locked to any specific mobile company, so there's no need to be locked into a 12 - 24 months contract, which seems to be a requisite for any other android or iPhone these days. This makes things much more flexible, not to mention cheaper.

If you want to have a phone and take pictures and run a few apps, it doesn't matter.

If you want to sync your calendar, your contacts, share calendars with your wife, and keep her and you up and running, read books on iPhone and iPad, without a lot of tinkering and issues of versions etc, and if you use mac's mostly for laptop or desktop I would recommend iPhone.

Yes you can do it all with a droid phone, and cheaper.

but not easier.

Easier is still discussable tough, since you get used to what you've started with, i was on the iphone and switching tl droid was downgrading in terms of graphics and all BUT since the access to the outside world is better on droid i rapidly forgot all of the looks and started using the thing like if it was a little computer in your pocket.
Moving files here and there, using the device like a USB key easily, having the option of external SD card to allow more storage without buying another phone etc... etc...
Anyway always the same pros and cons when talking about these platforms haha
And all the syncing is done via my gmail account, phone numbers and all, nothing is lost, just need to connect to internet whatever my main computer, same as Mac in a way....

the Samsung looked easier to read for me so I went with that,
If you  use other syncing things like itunes than that's a consideration
I use allot of the google stuff

A lot of the Google syncing is easier with Android, though it's not that big a deal with an iPhone.

I just bought one, decided I needed to get with the times too. I'd been fooling around with non-phone devices (iPod Touch, Android tablet) for a while, and would have preferred an Android. But I work a lot in live sound, and wanted a smaller more durable phone... right now Android phones are differentiating themselves by being bigger than the iPhone.

So I got an iPhone 5C... I figure the polycarbonate case is already a pretty solid design, and it's cheaper than the deluxe model.

I have an iphone and have for years.  I like it.  I just got an iPad thinking I'd actually be able to get some good work done on it.  Downloaded Cubabis (I'm a Cubase user), and several other "professional DAWs" for the iPad. 

I have come to the conclusion that the iPad is a great device for consuming (watching movies, reading, checking email, etc), but it stinks for actually creating content.  I am much much more productive on my laptop.  I am returning the iPad.  Everything I just said goes even more so for the iPhone.  Don't expect to get any real work done (efficiently) on any phone.

The Samsungs have user-removable batteries and you can buy a charger which will charge several at a time. I find the concept of sealing a phone so that the user can't change the battery abhorrent. I went back to an old Nokia after trying an Iphone (I even got out of the contract). The whole locked-in to Itunes and one computer thing also drove me crazy.

Back