Avalon VT 747 SP calibration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globule_655

Hi there !

I have an Avalon VT 747 SP which has a little balance problem. One of the side is 6 to 9dB lower than the other. The tubes needed to be changed also and I replaced them... When doing a little research on the subject I read here and there the unit needs to be calibrated after changing the tubes. There are indeed a few trimmers inside the unit but no indication about what they're for.
Anyone knows about the calibration procedure for that beast ? Avalon won't provide it...

Thanks !
Cheers !

Hey fazer
I already contacted Avalon but they said I had to send the unit to them for calibration but I find the price a bit steep for a few trimmers to adjust. There is nothing in the manual I have and I read somewhere that the alignment/calibration procedure was out there on the net at some point. Maybe someone still has it and can help me...

Sorry I don't have the info on cal.  It was a lot of years ago at a facility thats not in Bus anymore.

6 to 9 db lower ... that's more than a calibration

is that with or without any compression?
is it with the input and output level controls at 12 o'clock ... ie unity gain?

have you checked that the issue isn't outside of the unit?

squib said:
6 to 9 db lower ... that's more than a calibration

is that with or without any compression?
is it with the input and output level controls at 12 o'clock ... ie unity gain?

have you checked that the issue isn't outside of the unit?

Hey squib
The imbalance was due to bad tubes, which I changed. The cal was needed after changing them but there was no more any "problem" per se (only a 0.6dB difference between input and output, compressor threshold a little higher than before, little things like that)

Latest posts

Back