GroupDIY - A fresh look and mobile/tablet friendliness (a work in progress)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
starting to look pretty slick,

nice job Ethan and whoever!  :D

grateful to have this place last this long,

Gearslutz? Recording.org?  i pity the fools,  ;D

zayance said:
Still feeling a little lost in there...
Nicer look, but things are hard to catch at first glance.
I might need time to adjust.

This has significantly reduced my use of this site. It's so hard to find things at glance anymore. It's all just blends into brightness with slightly changing font sizes and margins and no clear borders. Front page is nearly unusable with ipad.

I have to say this is not a simple case of adjusting to new things. The old format was simply better.

Totally agree with Kingston, in fact I'm going to give up on checking this thread.
but still curious it came with no warning or solicitation .

As a side note to all my criticism I'll have to add it's not like I have a choice on studio electronics diy forums. For most things on these topics I have to come here whether I like the user experience or not.

I only keep coming back every other day in the hope that some things have been updated, I haven't been reading threads ever since the layout change. For me it just seems harder, I have to concentrate way more without seeing any advantages. Instead of relaxed browsing and glancing over posts to see if I am interested, it takes more active effort which makes it uncomfortable.

Some propositions, also mentioned by others:

• Change the white, light gray, light blue, all fine.
  • The font is way too big, too much waste of space.
  • Every other post should have a different background color.
  • Quotes should have a different background color so they are easier to distinguish from the new post.
  • Post counter next to the user name.

Besides all the rambling, thanks for the continuously great work Ethan!

I agree the site is much more difficult to read now.  I really struggled at first - even simple things like finding the "New Posts" link

The new layout makes readability much worse.  The relative font sizes and font leading are awful.  The  additional white space is a hindrance, not a benefit

The purpose of a forum is content, not bells & whistles.  If you look at a page, content isn't obvious, headings and icons are.  Icons don't need to be prominent - that's why they are icons.  If you're reading a thread, why is the thread title repeated above every post in bold, making it more prominent than the post?  Makes no sense

I am no typographer or graphic designer, but have spent enough time round them to appreciate a few basic rules.  Simplicity is one.  The overall design is too messy & bitty

I am sure the site administrators have seen a massive drop in visitors since the "upgrade" so my comments are meant to be helpful, even though they are critical

Nick Froome

Hi,

well I tried it, but i have to admit, it's so much harder to read.... this spoils the fun.
And on my (old) "DIY Computer" the new font is fu...ing shit!!

This needs an update!!
Hope we"re still in a 'work in progress' mode...

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• GroupDiy_newLayout_01.jpg
    GroupDiy_newLayout_01.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 23
Got used to the new layout. Also looks good on iPad. On PC I sometimes turn down screen brightness, which is gives longer battery :)

Finally found something to complain about re:the new forums software.

When I'm not logged in, I can't see attachments. Maybe theres an option to change that with a single click!?

(I know its supposed to be an incentive to get people to sign up, but I am assuming this is not "that kind of forum")

Gustav

Gustav said:
Finally found something to complain about re:the new forums software.

When I'm not logged in, I can't see attachments. Maybe theres an option to change that with a single click!?

(I know its supposed to be an incentive to get people to sign up, but I am assuming this is not "that kind of forum")

Gustav
This has always been the case to reduce download bandwidth by non-members.

I tried to respond to a PM on my Android phone this weekend and it was nearly impossible.
I found with the old format I had to zoom constantly to use the forum, while with the new format everything's so darn big it's hard to use. And there is no way to zoom out.
Anyway, I hope it's still a work in progress, because the new format is still 'getting in the way' so to speak.

Back