Dual concentric knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L´Andratté

I´m looking for knobs that fit a dual concentric potentiometer 6mm/4mm, that are NOT of the chrome type, but can´t find much...

They must be out there, like all those old oscilloscopes/test gear etc. are using them, can someone help me out?

A couple of times I've done this by stacking two standard knobs, drilling hole in the lower one.

Works best with collar clamp knobs, as pivot-screws (from the side of knob) tends to dent the outer "tube" that the inner axle runs in, when tightened, ymmv.

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
A couple of times I've did this by stacking two standard knobs, drilling hole in the lower one.

Works best with collar clamp knobs, as pivot-screws (from the side of knob) tends to dent the outer "tube" that the inner axle runs in, when tightened, ymmv.

Jakob E.

That crossed my mind already, but I just couldn´t imagine, that those knobs shouldn´t be available... :mad:
Thanks for the collar clamp hint, probably saved me some time of my life ;D

Btw years ago I build one of my first trash synth with tabasco bottle and orange juice caps for knobs, didn´t look that bad!!!

some of their knobs (might) have a pass thru for the 4mm axle so that you can stack two - my guess at least. their homepage shows that kind of arrangement for a plastic knob. I think one of the aluminum ones can be mounted that way too.

Michael

Have a look at the Sifam collet knobs. For dual concentric assemblies, Top/Base diameters are 10/13, 11/15, 15/21 and 21/29mm. There are special thru hole collets available as well.

L´Andratté said:
Thanks for the hint, alas no success. I checked their catalogue for standard knobs and the only duals
are coarse-fine drive dual knobs... :mad:

I am puzzled. Their catalogue says:

"It is worth noting that certain of these knobs can be mounted one above the other to allow the operation of rotary switches with dual concentric shafts."

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the answers!
Ruffrecords be unpuzzled, you were right with mentor, I was just looking for dedicated duals in the catalogue and there aren´t.  ::)

I will contact them and report back for those who are interested!

Ok, I haven´t contacted Mentor, but probably figured it out anyway.

There are two types of collet type knobs, one with screw fixing (which I knew) and those with a hole and a fixing nut (new to me).
These two combined obviously make a stacked pot.
Check the photo gallery on this page and all will be clear:
http://www.okw.co.uk/en/Tuning-knobs/Combination-Knobs.htm

Mentor (and probably others) have them also, just make your pick with fitting shaft and knob sizes...

So it seems after some years with diy,  I´m still a noob  ;D

Latest posts

Back