Air compressor question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Air compressor question:

I like/want/need a source for compressed air in my workshop.

But I can't take the loud and annoying noise form a standard air compressor. Can't annoy my neighbors by putting it outside either.

Yes, I know there are silent (refrigerator) types available, but they're prohibitively expensive.

I don't need LOTS of air, only maybe 10-20L/min or so on average.

Question now is:

Can I use a standard "piston type" air compressor with a variable-speed control, to get motor RPM (and thus the noise) down to acceptable levels - or is this a no-no with standard-type air compressors?

The reason I'm asking is that I haven't seen this done (or even mentioned) anywhere before - yes, I googled already - so I'm guessing that there must be some hidden problem in going this route?

Yes, I realize that I'd get much less air flow amount. And yes, I know i must run a speed control appropriate for the motor in question - inverter/frequency-changer for phase-controlled induction type and probably SCR/dimmer type for universal motors.

Jakob E.

I don't know about varying RPM, but why don't you get a smallish one and build an isolation cabinet for it, you will need an intake which may be an issue to isolate but there are a couple of ways to go, it's constant freq so 1/4 wave length trap could be an option, a car silencer would be another, a long tube with foam inside another, other kind of traps out there as well. For the iso cab there are a lot of projects out there for guitar cab, you only need to add the intake. Maybe double plywood with sand or foam in the middle of them and rubber feet and you are good to go, no need to foam the inside since you won't put a mic inside of it I guess.

JS

Can I use a standard "piston type" air compressor with a variable-speed control, to get motor RPM (and thus the noise) down to acceptable levels - or is this a no-no with standard-type air compressors?

Interesting question. I would guess that the leakage might become a problem at too slow speeds. Any piston engine/compressor will leak air mass past the rings, but if the piston is moving fast enough there isn't enough time for it to matter.
I'm not sure it will be much quieter either, I'd go the isolation cabinet route.

Jakob,

The shipping might be expensive, but in any case look here for some options:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=ultra-quiet-air-compressor.html

We have in the shop industrial two piston 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand T30, which is surprisingly quiet. To change RPM you will need a three phase motor and VFD--which by itself can get expensive. I'd get the right stuff to start with. After all, once you get a compressor you might realize you will need much more air than you think. Many power tools (or just to blow dust around the shop :)) require lots of air, LOL...

After dealing with a REALLY loud air compressor that I kept in my shed, I bought one of these about 6 months ago:
http://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-4620A-4-6-Gallon/dp/B00889ZYPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410890479&sr=8-1&keywords=california+air+tools+4620a

I couldn't be happier!  Now I keep it inside under my work bench. It's very quiet.  The wife barely notices it kick on from the next room.  They have bigger and smaller versions as well, although I can only speak for the 4.6 gallon (17.4 liter) model.

For 10-20 l/min I'd recommend an airbrush compressor.

I've got this kind:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/AIRBRUSHKOMPRESSOR-AIRBRUSH-KOMPRESSOR-PISTOLE-COMPRESSOR-LACKIERUNG-AK2-/361077383126?pt=Laborger%C3%A4te_instrumente&hash=item5411e39fd6

Yes, they're from far east, but really good and reliable!
And ultra-quiet !

What do you want it for, Jakob ?

...markus :)

I second Markus recomendation they are not very noisy and they work just when the presure is low. they are very good for clean stuff like dust on computers.

I'm using mine for  "minimal-cooling" (sorry... I dont know the english word) on my CNC mill.
Like this:
http://www.cnc-extra.de/WebRoot/Store16/Shops/17245738/4FDF/433B/A06C/24AE/668A/C0A8/28BB/6E9A/Mindermengenschmierung_BPV-225-cnc-extra.jpg

It's the perfect choice for that application (cause it's quite like an airbrush... but spraying ethanol instead of color ;-)

...markus :)

I use one of these 12VDC  compressors  intended to pump your car tyre.. I plumbed mine to an old fire extinguisher  tank of the type sold for vehicles or your kitchen then  added a pressure  relief valve with switch to cut  in and out at max pressure . Mounted in a cupboard below my workbench  its  not exactly silent but useful and of course portable..They do get hot with prolonged use however and use substantial current..Im sure there are plenty of examples around

Heres one  from a local store  http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MC7202

Latest posts

Back