Uncoupling an input voltage?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baker

I am trying to plug a dynamic mic into a lavaliere mic input. The instructions states "the input voltage needs to be uncoupled".

I am assuming that it produces 5-12 volts to power the lavaliere and I have read online that people create cables with a capacitor to block the voltage.

Does this mean I need to use a capacitor to uncouple the voltage? If so, how do I wire the capacitor and what sort of capacitor do I need, can it be any, I have some capacitors on some boards that I may pull out.

How do I wire this on the XLR?

Thank you.

Attachments

• G3wiring.jpg
    G3wiring.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
Sennheiser has confirmed that this is the correct way to wire it.
2hg5y87.jpg

Maybe the cap is backwards, I don't know the voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 1 and 3, which would determine the polarity of the cap (how should be connected)

I wouldn't call it uncoupling but AC coupling, or decoupling DC, but I prefer the first one. Uncoupling sounds to me like no wire at all, they aren't coupled!

JS

You don't want the capacitor in parallel with the microphone, as is the case in the first example!
The positive side of the capacitor (+) should be connected to the connector that is delivering the DC voltage.

All sorted out. Thank you everyone!

I tested the output using a voltmeter set to DC voltage to see if voltage was coming out with my new cable, and it doesn't which means it has stopped the DC voltage.

Latest posts

Back