The Simplest Compressor for a Beginner first project. Please help me

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I heard you guys are the most helpful and friendly people to introduce me to the audio diy universe.

I´m a good learner but 100% nooby.

I want to build a compressor as my first project. I imagine it to be the simplest possible one although without short cuts.
I really need some guidance and I hope you guys can help me.

Cheers
Alex

If you're completely new, I don't think a compressor is the best first project. They are all pretty advanced compared to most DIY projects. Perhaps modding a compressor would get you started?

If you haven't already, you should start by learning and basic soldering. Then maybe a guitar pedal or DI. A preamp would be the next logical step.

I agree on the pedals route for the first time as Critterkllr said!

But if you want to go directly to rack (or api500) units that are more complicated than pedals, I'd say it's not about the difficult circuit but to choose a project that is well documented with available pcbs and maybe even component kits.

Stuffing the board is fairly simple when you have a steady hand and all the components on your desk. But if you do something wrong (99% it's misplacing a component or two) then troubleshooting can be a pain. That is why you need a project with a comprehensive build thread.

Don't go experimenting with hardware - buy a rack case for that particular project. Most popular projects have dedicated cases sold over here by other members! Doing your own is major PITA!

You'll find out that you almost always in the beginning focus on the pcb and stuffing it, but it's sourcing components, wiring, powering and case that mostly take more time than stuffing. Not to mention the calibration procedures. Some are complicated!

Find a mouser/digikey/rs/farnell cart with all required components that someone else already composed and verified and order them at once. Component buying can be a mess if you don't know differences between brands and types.

If I was to pick a beginner compressor project I'd say it's Mnats 1176 or GSSL, as long as you stick to "normal" versions and don't dig into enhancements, mods and addons. You can add those later when you have working unit built.

Don't go anal if your unit doesn't sound exactly like original vintage unit! This is your own version and as long as it sounds good and does the job - it's perfect!

Have fun!

And be prepared to waste your money and not regret it if it all goes into dumpster on your first project that you (don't know how) screwed somewhere!

:)

Luka

Hi Critter
If you haven't already, you should start by learning and basic soldering. Then maybe a guitar pedal or DI. A preamp would be the next logical step.
I sure agree, but the point is unless I get something motivating for me I know the project will soon loose interest... and I need extra compressors. And, I can always call my Studio technician for help.

Hi Luka
If I was to pick a beginner compressor project I'd say it's Mnats 1176 or GSSL, as long as you stick to "normal" versions and don't dig into enhancements, mods and addons. You can add those later when you have working unit built.

If that so I´ll build a GSSL, since I don´t have one and they look simpler ans cheaper (is it right?) then the 1176.

Since I´m sure there will be others like me taking advantage from this thread in the future, let me start by asking some questions:

1. Where to get everything I need (and in a straight way) to get started?
2. Is there the Stereo link circuit in the GSSL?
3. Was the original really pcb or was it point to point?
4. A stupid question: Can I build it into a wood case to cut costs?

Dear mentors, I standby for your directions!!
Alex

Alex said:
Since I´m sure there will be others like me taking advantage from this thread in the future, let me start by asking some questions:

Did you try the search function to see if there was already a thread to be taken advantage of in the future made in the past? :)

Gustav

The search function didn´t return me any results. Since I´m new here, I assume the search is right until I scan through the threads.

Oops, in fact it did. I´ll run through the threads, however I believe my thread is still valid. Thanks

Gustav said:
Did you try the search function to see if there was already a thread to be taken advantage of in the future made in the past? :)
Gustav

As far as I understand you´re the Gustav from Giraf himself!! Right? Thank god this helps a lot
I´m at your page right now, it´s the place to go.
Cheers
Alex

Alex said:
1. Where to get everything I need (and in a straight way) to get started?
Check the build thread in this forum!
2. Is there the Stereo link circuit in the GSSL?
It's stereo only!
3. Was the original really pcb or was it point to point?
It originated form SSL 4000 series console and it was pcb build. But GSSL is a bit different - check for turbo mod description.
4. A stupid question: Can I build it into a wood case to cut costs?
That may be done but it's not advisable. Metal chassis is protecting your unit from magnetic fields and other RF noise. If you build it into a wooden case, you'll still have to have some sort of metal cage inside it for protection. When you count the costs, it may be even more expensive than metal case.
Dear mentors, I standby for your directions!!
Alex

Go to the build thread and start reading. You'll have all the answers there. Don't go lazy on educating yourself!

Alex said:
Gustav said:
Gustav

As far as I understand you´re the Gustav from Giraf himself!! Right? Thank god this helps a lot
I´m at your page right now, it´s the place to go.
Cheers
Alex

Gustav = a dude who worked at a PCB manufacturing plant and fabricated some PCBs for the group a while ago.

Jakob = Gyraf Audio, a dude who actually knows what he is doing.

I am Gustav, and even if I have made PCBs based on some of Jakobs public designs,  Gyraf (With a y :) ) is not the same thing or even affiliated.

Gustav

For the first project ever a highly advise buying a complete kit! You can concentrate on putting it together then instead of sourcing its components. Check Hairball Audio for 19" or 500, JLM audio for 500 Kits. 
I am sure you can't go wrong building either the before mentioned SSL comp or an 1176.
MicandMod had an SSL complete kit for a short period of time. Perhaps one could ask them when titles will be back in stock.

+1 on buying a complete kit. Perhaps the Serpent Audio SB4000 is right for you? It includes all the normal mods that people do to the GSSL to make it more like the original SSL.

I understand the motivation factor behind making something you need. I do the same thing. I jump right in because I'm excited. Just make sure you take your time and go slowly. If your solder points look bad, research and practice before you go back to the pcb. Triple check every bit of wiring before committing. Every time I've missed something, it's because I was impatient and wanted to get it finished!

HI everyone,
Already reading everything I need and already quoting parts and boards.
I´m using rev 11 docs as it seems to be the latest.
No coming back... Is there a "rehab program" for DIY addicts in case I get too addicted???

Hi Shot

I´m already on track and doing all the homework, including reading everything I can (from the 300+ pages....)
Go to the build thread and start reading. You'll have all the answers there. Don't go lazy on educating yourself!
I´m not! But I notice all newbies had the same need of some initial guidance here.  But I already got the mood.
It originated form SSL 4000 series console and it was pcb build. But GSSL is a bit different - check for turbo mod description.
I´ll stick to the original project and try this mod afterwards. Is this the right way to go?
Thanks for all the help!

Hi Gustav
Gustav = a dude who worked at a PCB manufacturing plant and fabricated some PCBs for the group a while ago.
Jakob = Gyraf Audio, a dude who actually knows what he is doing.
Thanks for clarifying. But your being too modest as I learned you are also the dude always helping the dudes like me to move forward

Hi Bassniac
For the first project ever a highly advise buying a complete kit! You can concentrate on putting it together then instead of sourcing its components.
Agreed. However, part of my learning curve is getting local distributors for components and parts. I´m in Rio (Brazil) and I must know what I can purchase locally and what I cannot. This will help me on future projects as well

Hi Critterkll
Perhaps the Serpent Audio SB4000 is right for you?
Funny but my Kaspersky antivirus is blocking their web page
Just make sure you take your time and go slowly. If your solder points look bad, research and practice before you go back to the pcb. Triple check every bit of wiring before committing. Every time I've missed something, it's because I was impatient and wanted to get it finished!
Thanks for the tips. I try my best. My brother is joying this project and he has small experience in electronics.

Hi Peterc
+1 more for a kit.
I know but..  I´ll try the gSSL way even with the inherent complications involving chasing parts. Cheers

Local suppliers??? I live in Germany and the local suppliers seem to be highly insuficcient. I order parts from mouser and digikey or this forums white board like everybody else does.  Just to keep it simple and reliable. If you get used to sourcing your stuff you will start to source ahead of your current projects and stash parts up.
When I did my first projects I noticed that I failed to order all the needed parts and got frustrated because I could not finish them. That's why I advised a complete kit for your first project. Learning to source parts is as much a deal as learning to solder or to troubleshoot your projects.

Cheers.

Yes Bassniac, you're so right!!!

This is why I never could put an exact amount I spend on units I built!
I always order more than needed, especially when ordering some weird values of resistors (and sometimes capacitors). You never know when you're gonna need just one item for a next build, and it kills to pay shipping for just that one item. And also transistors - they are likely to burn first so I always order 50% more than specified in BOM.

Yeah, I always order those in multiples of 10.

:)

(Have an eye on their price - doing that with certain kind of caps can become costly - e.g. Tantals)

Cheers

Hi Bassniac,
Local suppliers??? I live in Germany and the local suppliers seem to be highly insuficcient. I order parts from mouser and digikey or this forums white board like everybody else does.  Just to keep it simple and reliable.

Well, I could basically find everything in the local supplier but in fact still haven´t ordered so far.
Yes, Mouser looks convenient and is very Brazilian friendly. It´s just a drag to pay the extra costs and have to deal with customs/taxes/delivery time.

But that´s the reason I´m asking for help. As a beginner I´m here to learn and in this case I´ll try both ways. I signed in to mouser and will check the Bom list.

Just one note on this: Buying a kit would be a shortcut that would simplify a beginner´s life. However, I´m enjoying the initial stage of selecting Boms and suppliers. There´s a lot to learn in this stage as well, as I can see from what you just told me. Thanks a lot.

Alex

Check mousers shipping policies if you really have to deal with taxes/import and so on. I don't have to here in Germany. Perhaps they have a logistics central in Brasil and ship directly within your country.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back