API style input transformer core material

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyonight

Hi!

Seriously I googled this as much as I could and couldn't find an answer to this....

The core material of output Tx are mentionned for almost every model I ever found online but I can't find anything about input Tx.

Here are two model I'd like to know more about:

Cinemag CM-75101

EA2622 (100% Steel?)

Well thanks to answer this somewhat useless question!

Most mic inputs are 80% nickel.  Steel would not work too well for mic inputs. 

Ok so the difference in tone between all those million different input Tx comes from the winding method then?

I feel it's not as simple as this... it's never as simple as this  ;)

Well, there are many core types and sizes so winding method is not the only difference. 

At the same time there are many ways to "properly" wind a good transformer, that's why you have so many on the market.

Thanks Mitsos

Great info to start with!

I guess, like everything, when you start to dig the subject there's always tons of new things to be found, so I'll stick with this for now!

If it is for diy i would avoid winding mic inputs, wire is very thin, difficult to wind and core materials are somewhat harder to get. Many people wind their outputs, i think it is worth investing in them because you can use Fe laminations and everything is bigger and easier to work with. It also depends where you live...

No it's not for diy I'm not ready for that kind of challenge!

It's just a general question I wasn't able to find an answer

Latest posts

Back