CK12 capsule questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trans4funks1

Hi,
I have two questions I am hoping someone can help with:

What are people using for a mounting post with the Tim Campbell CK12 and supplied capsule mount when using these capsules with donor mic style base plates?

When connecting lead wires do you solder while the eyelets are screwed onto the capsule or do you remove the eyelets temporarily, solder the wires, and then re attach the eyelets?

Thank You.

I found that I had to enlarge the hole in the supplied brass mount to fit the mic's  stock shock mount.
Aren't the wires already soldered to the capsule eyelets?
The capsules have a protective plastic over the diaphrams so you could carefully solder while attached.
To be safe remove them first.

Winetree said:
I found that I had to enlarge the hole in the supplied brass mount to fit the mic's  stock shock mount.

Thanks.

Winetree said:
Aren't the wires already soldered to the capsule eyelets?

I didn't receive any lead wires with the capsule, just some eyelets that have some solder dabs on them.

Winetree said:
The capsules have a protective plastic over the diaphrams so you could carefully solder while attached.
To be safe remove them first.

I've been imagining that heat could mess with the diaphragm tension... is that crazy?

Thank You.

"I've been imagining that heat could mess with the diaphragm tension... is that crazy?"

No. I use a 15 watt iron, and Radio Shack 064-35 silver solder(.015mm), melts fast.
I've pre-tinned the wire and eyelet and a quick touch to connect.
If you have a steady hand, removal is best.
Do not remove the plastic until everything is done.

To sum up: Do not remove the plastic cover until everything is soldered and done.

It's VERY easy to kill the capsule by splashing solder onto membrane - even if you have a steady hand.

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back