Sony C37A clone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Hey Poctop,

Since there is no mic apparently that you can't whip up a nice clone PCB for, I sure would be into building one. Heh.

I guess the issue is sourcing a capsule.

Why would you want to "clone" the C37A besides for the capsule and grill?

IMO an external powered solid state follower circuit would be a much better design. 
I find all this cloning so boring if you are going to build something like a microphone make a "better/different" one

I recently used a C37a - really liked it.
If you're in to building mics, go for it.
I think all the parts are readily available.  A U67-style capsule should work.  I think Chunger sells a PCB for prototyping that fits in to one of those longer bodied mics.  Tubes are cheap - one of our members was giving some away recently.
And the schematic is easily found.

Why wait for someone else to do the work?

The capsule, really, is what makes the Sony C37A interesting. A K67 style capsule was only used much later; the early Sonys had a unique LD capsule - single diaphragm with mechanical switching to omni. Those capsules were quite low output due to higher damping.

The circuit is not very interesting. It's so basic, you could easily build it point-to-point.

Is the capsule available from Sony? Probably not.

Some info here:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36771.0

It's hard to resist such a simple circuit. However, from what I've read - everything considered - there isn't any 'free lunch' 8>]

Dave (shaggy)

the circuit is simple, pcbs should not be a roadblock; a tube socket gets you 80% there
not including the power supply

fazeka said:
It would be cool to do a C37A clone, though, to include the aesthetics.

...if tooling a body would be price prohibited, possibly re-purposing a body like this would be cost effective...

Attachments

• nady_rsm8.jpg
    nady_rsm8.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 77
fazeka wrote:
"Is the capsule available from Sony?"

Is the capsule in the C37A the same as the capsule from the C38B?  (even if it isn"t, the C38B capsule is an excellent capsule to build around)

I ordered a C38B capsule from Sony about 4 months ago, took 3 weeks to get here from Japan, cost about $240 plus S/H.

Link:
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-A4510006A.aspx

At some point I plan to try the Sony capsule with an AC701, and BV.11 in an M49 fixed bias circuit.

Good luck.

Joe

Triode-Joe said:
fazeka wrote:
"Is the capsule available from Sony?"

Is the capsule in the C37A the same as the capsule from the C38B?  (even if it isn"t, the C38B capsule is an excellent capsule to build around)

I ordered a C38B capsule from Sony about 4 months ago, took 3 weeks to get here from Japan, cost about $240 plus S/H.

Link:
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-A4510006A.aspx
Yes, sorry, I was mixing up the 37A and the 38B capsule... :eek:

Triode-Joe said:
At some point I plan to try the Sony capsule with an AC701, and BV.11 in an M49 fixed bias circuit.
Nice! Would like to see that build.  :)

AFAIK the C37A and the C38B have the same or at least a similar capsule. The price for the replacement capsule seems quite reasonable.

Keep in mind that its low output makes it hard to achieve good S/N. Sony specifies the self noise of the (solid state) C38B at <24 dB-A.

I have been very interested in a C37A clone for quite awhile, but the roadblock was indeed the capsule. I have forgotten some of the details from my research, and will try to figure it all out again. I didn't think it was possible to get the true, correct capsule anymore, but maybe that C38B is indeed correct. I didn't know that capsule was available, but again, I have forgotten the details as to whether that is the same capsule that was in the C37

shabtek said:
What are you sayin?

Me? I was saying that as far as I remember from my research, it wasn't possible to build an exact clone of the C37A due to the lack of correct capsule. However, I may have not known that the C38B capsule was a replacement, or that it was available. All I specifically remember is that the C800 capsule was the same as the C37, but I didn't know how to get a C800 capsule either.

Melodeath00 said:
I have been very interested in a C37A clone for quite awhile, but the roadblock was indeed the capsule. I have forgotten some of the details from my research, and will try to figure it all out again. I didn't think it was possible to get the true, correct capsule anymore, but maybe that C38B is indeed correct. I didn't know that capsule was available, but again, I have forgotten the details as to whether that is the same capsule that was in the C37

I've searched all I could to find out about the capsule. I thought the C37 was unique, but if Rossi thinks it may be similar to the C38 that's available it might be worth a look. Maybe Triode-Joe could post some pics and info on his for comparison.

Dale has described making a capsule similar to the C37's, and it sounds relatively simple. I could probably turn out some backplates, if someone has a source of diaphragm material.

Dave (shaggy)

Dale made some C37 and C800 (non-G) style capsules (sans the omni option and center terminated). I bought one of each back then. I don't know how close they are to the originals, but they sounded very nice. The C800 style capsule was basically the same as the C37 style with more HF extension.

shaggy wrote:
"Maybe Triode-Joe could post some pics and info on his for comparison. "

This looks the same as the capsule in my C38B microphone circa 1980's, it has the slotted shaft to change patterns. I hope this is of use.

Joe

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=57359.0;attach=30319;image

Attachments

• C38B Capsule.jpg
    C38B Capsule.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 158
Thanks Joe, very helpful 8>]
Maybe just another close-up of the front side?

PS - And could you measure the OD? 8>]

thanks
Dave (shaggy)

Rossi said:
The capsule, really, is what makes the Sony C37A interesting. A K67 style capsule was only used much later; the early Sonys had a unique LD capsule - single diaphragm with mechanical switching to omni. Those capsules were quite low output due to higher damping.

The high damping is the only sensible way of making omni pattern to have a good HF extension in a true pressure mode. Not very many LD capsules work well with sealed back. The low tuning resonance of the diaphragm would normally lead to a very limited HF response. The high amount of the resistance control in this capsule compensates for that tuning. Also keep in mind this capsule uses higher than normal bias voltage at 120V.

Best, M

Back