Add headphones to my line mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcerveny

I've got a rane sm 82 stereo line mixer that does well for mixing my computer audio and synthesizers, but unfortunately does not have any sort of headphone out.  I'm wondering if there's a simple project that I could do to add this in.

In my research I've seen:

- monitor controllers with integrated headphone amplifiers
- distribution amplifiers that could be paired with headphone amplifiers

Also the rane sm-82 also has an expand out, which looks to me like another line out I could possibly patch into a headphone amplifier. 

Am I over thinking this? Is there another simpler solution?

Y-cable the Main outputs to a simple basic headphone amp.

The stock outputs are all right-sized for LINE loads, with a cap too small for headfone loads.

I can see how to build-in a headphone amp, but I bet it would be very tricky teeny work (even just finding a place for a HP jack) on those fully-filled front and back panels). Anyway a basic headphone amp is useful for many things beside this mixer.

Super-sexy headphone amps have become a fad. After years of mucking about, I say $10 (plus box) should do fine for working folks.

Yep what he said. (...but the glory days of BUF634 are gone imho.)

Perhaps I'd look into the small ART hp amps

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/headphone_amps/

well simply, these *used to be* all-the-rage ... a decade ago

well to explain the buf634 thing, it was wery easy with the to220 version to add HP-outputs - you just mounted them on a piece of metal and P-T-P wired the connections. Usually it worked just fine, but of course it would work better with the proper implementation (within the NFB loop)

Latest posts

Back