Skin for mic capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andriejus

Good evening all,

Maybe some of you has experience in buying gold plated replacement skin for capsule? If it is available somewhere for purchase, maybe someone could share the link? Thanks a lot!

Respectfully,
Andrew

Thats a vast question. What thickness and what material. Gold Sputtered Mylar or PVC. This is the kind of thing that unless you are getting into doing this regularly in my opinion is best left to those who do it all the time. But do a search for gold sputtered mylar film. or

http://www.lgafilms.com/

http://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_geschichte.html

There are many problems with DIY using Gold flashed Mylar.  Les Watts enumerates them at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/micbuilders/message/15817

This is a very long thread covering many useful topics so have patience and go through it all.

For DIY, probably the simplest is Aluminium Flashed Mylar.  You can get this as

LW Covering at http://freeflightsupplies.com/

I cover some of this in Fig-8capsule  in MicBuilders Files.  You have to join.

Thanks Ricardo. Do you know of a US supplier of that 5 micron aluminised Mylar? I only see two places online, including the one you list, and they're both in the UK.

thanks!
Dave

shaggy said:
Do you know of a US supplier of that 5 micron aluminised Mylar? I only see two places online, including the one you list, and they're both in the UK.
A sq. m. will see you for several dozen capsules and Free Flight Supplies ship to any part of the world at very reasonable cost.

But why not go to your local Model Shop with an ohmeter and check out their Aluminised Mylar?  They can tell you the thickness and you just have to make sure, the Aluminium layer is exposed and the stuff isn't pre-glued.

Hi Ricardo, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check my model shop out. But yes, shipping from the UK should be no problem.

Is this stuff be the same as used making in film capacitors? What prevents the 'bare' aluminum layer from oxidising? I wonder is there a gold ('space blanket') version with the same range of thicknesses. So many questions(!)

It occurred to me you could probably remove the aluminium layer around a 1" spot to make a center-terminated skin. I'm sure it's been tried.

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

shaggy said:
Is this stuff be the same as used making in film capacitors? What prevents the 'bare' aluminum layer from oxidising? I wonder is there a gold ('space blanket') version with the same range of thicknesses. So many questions(!)

It occurred to me you could probably remove the aluminium layer around a 1" spot to make a center-terminated skin. I'm sure it's been tried.
Bare Aluminium always oxidises.  The Oxide layer protects the rest unless the layer is too thin.  The layer in film capacitors is so thin it will oxidise perceptibly before your eyes and bits will fall off a little later.

Read Les Watts (ex Shure) on Gold sputtered film in the MicBuilders thread.  You have to sputter while the film is TENSIONED correctly else the layer will crack when you tension it.  That's why space blanket Gold film isn't much good.

If you are making EVIL Neumann style centre terminated capsules, you have a problem  ;)

Calrec's heritage is from AKG via Clem's (my mike mentor) friendship with Bernhard Weingartner who did C12 for AKG.  Hence we sneer at the Neumann centre terminated rubbish ;D

ricardo said:
shaggy said:

Bare Aluminium always oxidises.  The Oxide layer protects the rest unless the layer is too thin.  The layer in film capacitors is so thin it will oxidise perceptibly before your eyes and bits will fall off a little later.

Read Les Watts (ex Shure) on Gold sputtered film in the MicBuilders thread.  You have to sputter while the film is TENSIONED correctly else the layer will crack when you tension it.  That's why space blanket Gold film isn't much good.

If you are making EVIL Neumann style centre terminated capsules, you have a problem  ;)

Calrec's heritage is from AKG via Clem's (my mike mentor) friendship with Bernhard Weingartner who did C12 for AKG.  Hence we sneer at the Neumann centre terminated rubbish ;D

Thanks Ricardo. Very valuable and interesting info .
BTW, I know aluminium oxidises. Was just curious why, on Mylar, it doesn't seem to lose it's shine - thought there must be a protective coating applied (other than the natural oxide).

Re your mention of Neumann/center-terminated... I always wondered why anyone would want to poke a hole in a perfectly good diaphragm 8>]

cheers
Dave (shaggy)

Re your mention of Neumann/center-terminated... I always wondered why anyone would want to poke a hole in a perfectly good diaphragm 8>
¸

Actually it is accomplished on Neumann Vintage K87 capsule in original fabrication and also in reskinning technique where the backplate are isolated with a piece of mylar of higher density ,  hence the hole on the back diaphragme permit the chamber to equilibrate with the atmosphere preventing it from becoming a barometer. ;)

Best,
DAn,

"...  preventing it from becoming a barometer"

Or make a hole in a capacitive barometer, and turn it into into a microphone(?) 8>]

...of course, without a major redesign, it wouldn't have the necessary transient response...!

Dave (shaggy)

Attachments

• barocap.gif
    barocap.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back