Sknote PWM - MS4 - Mono/Stereo Compressor DIY Kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogma

http://www.sknote.it/
http://www.sknote.it/MS4_en.htm
So 200euro all parts kit
230 for very nice case - so compete kit for 430

Im nearly about to hit buy - wondering what you guys thought. There is a schematic on the site. Great specs.

Theyve got a nice 500 series ADT but its not s kit and theres no pricing as yet

I dont know. I went to their forum and there is a support thread for the compressor with 0 replies. Hmmmmm

Look I think Im getting dementia or something. I cant find the schematic either. IVe contacted Quinto and asked him to provide more details so Ill add them to the thread as soon as

Dogma,

Is this meant as marketing for that project?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/957455-sknote-pwm-ms4-mono-stereo-compressor-diy-kit.html

Jakob E.

I would keep this topic alive just to see what Dogma has to say! Or maybe to have Sknote chime in with some comments.

Dogma obviously has some sort of connection with Sknote. Let's see the schematic!
In the end, it would be cool to have build thread over here, to have Sknote join and advertise in white market and for us to build this comp because I believe this is nice unit! Lots of features for a low price!

NO affiliation I just like his stuff - look at his catalog - honestly they really are doing things different and I like that.
Quinto said he is away at AES and when he gets back hell palm them over.
I too want this compressor - well from the description and Quinto;s pedigree

Ive sent multiple requests to Quinto for the schematics and Im getting no response. Its AES though so Im not getting too annoyed. Id just ike to know if its worth ordering and replacing my overstayer VCA

well im over it then. I still wanna find out more as Ive been looking at PWM comps recently and its a very thin heard let me tell you. Pisses me off when people wont return messages - to buy their gear///

My comment was cutoff. I will be finding out more for myself and will post anything here. Just having a bad day I think. Carry on...

I asked for the schematic and it the answer was "i dont need anyone to approve our work - let me see theres no I can approve theres" Its not the Quinto Ive dealt with but shit attitude. I didnt reply that Gyraf, EMRR and a few other lumnaries where interested. His loss I guess.
Im still gonna do it - no case 220 euro for full parts kit - for the specs and considering its PWM its a safe bet i think.

You are brave! Do you get a schematic with a kit? I cannot see an indication that they have sold a single one. Are you sure you want to be first? Especially with an attitude like that.

There is the PYE PWM compressor here in this forum as an alternative?

You get a schematic when you buy the kit. These guys have been making gear for ages. Their communication is unique  ::)

On the website it says:

"easy interfacing to sidechain software (best DAW integration, no synch issues)"

...meaning that the entire sidechain of that comp is basically software on a chip?

Hi guys! :)

I found this thread with some generic googling. I guess Dogma pointed me to this specific thread but I can't remember.

So, some notes.

- when I said "we're at AES". We spent 17 days in California. AES meant from sep 27 to oct 15 for us. So, yes, we were at AES  ;D
- the request by Dogma came out really badly, something like "can I have the schematics so I can publicly submit them to xxx's analysis and possible approval?". My answer was "Yes, if xxx sends me a schematic of theirs for public approval by me". Sounds harsh? What would you have answered? Dogma is a smart and nice guy ( ;)) but the request just came out bad, ah ah! No, nobody is going to submit the schematics of an original project to third party public approval. Oh, I love xxx's products and businesses, I also met them at Musikmesse, but you got the point. Ask me about how it works if you want, I'll be happy to answer. But that's all chatting. We're uploading some more detailed videos, they mean more than chatting.

This is SKnote in California

AES2014_216.jpg

The yellow tool on the left is a Pulse Wave Modulated board managed by our colleague Antonio  ;D

Yes, several kits have been sold. This project started as a collaboration with an italian magazine (Computer Music Studio), that's why it wasn't advertized out of Italy at first (note how the thread on GS wasn't started by me). Now it is becoming a finished product, too. While it was designed as a palette for better definition of the behaviour by collaboration (timings, curves, ranges, etc.), today we closed our configuration for it and called it "Leso".

Here is the first video. It is in italian language so I guess it is useless but here it is. Loading some more (in my weird english)

http://youtu.be/FGq4XxUmtEc?list=UUc00j5717foD88cebpBVS8Q

This short video I recorded shows PWM working. I thought it was nice to see if you didn't really see it and you are a newbie but interested to the tech side of things

http://youtu.be/pfOAqM2lszo?list=UUc00j5717foD88cebpBVS8Q

The clicks you can hear is me changing release time settings, reflecting in the way the waveform goes back to "closed"

Some tech notes:

- there isn't any transformer. Active balanced line interfacing by That Corp. "inGenius" circuits
- no tubes  ::) ;D
- no digital. Anywhere. I saw a post here asking if software_bla_bla meant digital sidechain. NO! There is an audio external sidechain input. Being it audio (and not some kind of control voltage), you can process that audio in any way you like before sending it to the comp. So, for example, you can send audio to inputs, set the comp to "external sidechain", send a copy of the audio through a crazy chain of plugins and then to ext sc input. So, you get infinite possibilities of control on the sidechain. That's what we mean.

I don't remember how this forum manages replies, please send me an email if you are waiting for some answer from me and I'm not appearing here  ::)

***Edit
Ok, I set the thread for an email notification

Nice to see youve replied. I sent you the link to this exact thread

How on earth you misinterpreted my message Ill never know. I wont embarrass you by posting it here.  Ill take your strange attitude to someone wanting to provide more information for what I would say is a good compressor as a difference in language

Back