Latency

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi guys

I'm working with an apogee ensemble in logic pro 9. Yesterday, I tested a AML 1073 that I just finished. So I plugged it in the line in, record enable it and tested the pre. What I noticed is some latency and a not so great playback overall sound. I recorded my voice and sounded huge and fat, as expected from that pre, but the playback sounded thinner and, of course, a little delayed. So, long short story, is it a typical issues due to latency? I'm used to record drum and multi mic setup with no latency playback (using maestro) but now, it's a single track, no plugins running so I found it pretty weird haha. I know I changed the buffer size to optimised my recent mixing session so maybe it's the cause. So the only thing I want to validate is that it sounds like a latency trouble.

Thanks dudes. Sorry if it sounds noob but to be honnest, since I work with logic and apogee ensemble (couple of years now) I never encountered latency trouble so to be honnest, I don't really know how it sounds in a recording session. I know latency in mixing situation, As I said I recently had to change the buffer size due to the large amount of tracks in my mix and since that I probably never reset the buffer size to a recording session.

Not much, just to say there's a delay between my speaking and the playback. I don't remember about the buffer size. probably upper than 256. I had to increased it since my sessions where really big and busy, with lot of plugins. I think that I forgot to change the buffer size so Logic keep it in memory

I usually (I think it's common practice) lower the buffer when starting a new session, for the recording stage at least, when everything is recorded and maybe edited, since for cutting/tuning I prefer it to be fast so I can see the playback more precisely. Then, when adding plugins I start to increase the buffer as needed, too low would generate problems, lack of recourses, too big and won't be confortable to work, you could be working faster, but if the machine can't you need to get a bigger buffer to avoid problems. Maybe the problem is you are used to another guy playing the drums against yourself singing, so there you notice the latency much more. If you are just recording a vocal or a couple of tracks with a much lower buffer will work, 64 maybe?depending on your configuration. Also, why not to use direct monitoring if you aren't using any plugins on it?

JS

I used the monitoring of Logic, not the maestro one for the vocal test. There is only one track. So probably my buffer was too high since I think I didn't lower it to a convenient level for recording. And I probably uncheck the software monitoring box, too, since my last drum recording session.

I don't remember LP9, but LPX has a low latency mode also, which may help sometimes, I don't really know what it does, I guess is a optimization for the monitoring lowering the quality of it but not the recording, but just a guess.

JS

maybe you could try updating your drivers/firmware? don't know if it helps though..
never had problems with my ff400 since i started making music.

Press the low latency monitoring button in the transport, the icon looks like an analogue vu meter.....

Regards,

Pierre

Attachments

• lowlatency.jpg
    lowlatency.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 135
Back