GSSL Problem with Make-Up Gain - any idea?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereo78

I've built my GSSL-comp from the micandmod-kit... I'm not a electronic pro, but understand the basic circuits. The kit and the enclosure looks fine, they only left out the bypass-switch of the make-up gain. They used the second half of the switch for the bypass LED and substituted the make-up bypass by a jumper, and substituted the 1K resistor, which is printed on the PCB on the 12V side of the makeup-pot by a jumper.

The compression and its bypass works and sounds fine - although the gain reduction decreases when I increase the ratio, perhaps a switch problem. Everything seems to be O.K. as long as I don't close the 2nd part of the bypass-switch "e" (i found that out by chance, I forgot to solder the jumper they use as a substitute for the switch). When I close the jumper and turn the make-up knob, the gain doesn't change until I turn fully clockwise, then the compression meter turns left and a the sound gets loud ...

I checked the soldering with a magnifying glass.. and the resistors in the "side chain" section around TL 074 and TL072 again by color code and measuring, checked the diodes, then I removed both IC's. I measured the makeup-gain voltage (0-12V) on the first Pin of the 620K - Resistor (on the main board), but not on the second pin or Pin 6 of TL072 - I suppose it should be there? I didn't find a short circuit.... I measured 50K from pin6 to ground. Any tips what to do? I'm not sure about how the many resistors in the makeup-section should react exactly and what to try next ...

Attachments

• GSSL_05.jpg
    GSSL_05.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 62
Update... after looking at everything a few times and measuring it works... don't know why.  :)

Latest posts

Back