Maker Place

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicDaddy

GDIY Supporter
Forgive if this has been covered...

Our University is bringing one of these to their "innovation campus"

http://makerplace.com/

Anybody had experience?  I have no machining experience or capabilities but this seems as an answer to my prayers? 

The 3D printing accessibility (without shelling $$ on a desktop, probably inferior model) would allow prototyping of so many things....  transformer/inductor bobbins, small plastic parts that have historically been polypropylene injection molded.  Thoughts?

A great adjunct to any university, college, business or garage!

I have been 3d printing for almost 3 years and have been constantly amazed at the things that can be designed and produced.

While I have no experience with them, there are a number of freeware CAD programs out there that are supposed to be fairly intuitive. You may want to check out the various apps from Autodesk.

Enjoy!

There's also Techshop.com
I haven't used any of these places (none close by) but I love the concept!

I just emailed the engineering department of my local university to ask if they have one or plan to. I'll let you know what they say.

Cheers

Ian

I've got one less than a mile from my place here in L.A. but unfortunately very little time to take part - 3D printing, laser engraving, machining, lathes etc.  Nice guys and affordable rates.

I got a nice reply form the prof of my local uni thanking me for making him aware of the idea but they had no plans for such a thing at present. He pointed me to a local innovation centre whom I also contacted. Got a nice reply from the MD who invited me to meet to discuss it further.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,
If that fails there is something called Makespace in Cambridge, if that is close to your part of Norfolk.  There are others in UK possibly under name Maker Space.

ruffrecords said:
I got a nice reply form the prof of my local uni thanking me for making him aware of the idea but they had no plans for such a thing at present. He pointed me to a local innovation centre whom I also contacted. Got a nice reply from the MD who invited me to meet to discuss it further.

Cheers

Ian

Take a look at the map here. Equipment, rules and possibilities will differ, everything is completely self-organized and dependent on the people who like to invest their free time into it.

volker said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

Take a look at the map here. Equipment, rules and possibilities will differ, everything is completely self-organized and dependent on the people who like to invest their free time into it.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it seems hacker spaces are not quite the same thing being aimed more at software and less at mechanical engineering. I did find a few maker spaces in the UK, one at Newcastle, another at Cambridge and what appears to be an embryonic one near me in Norwich. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Ian

That really depends on each individual hacker space. Many also have facilities for 3d printing and cnc milling  since these are very popular projects which allow the interaction of hardware and software, while producing something that will be useful for following creations. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there is more to look for besides the maker spaces.

volker said:
That really depends on each individual hacker space. Many also have facilities for 3d printing and cnc milling  since these are very popular projects which allow the interaction of hardware and software, while producing something that will be useful for following creations. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there is more to look for besides the maker spaces.

Point taken. I only looked at the two nearest me and neither had mechanical facilities but as you rightly say, others will have mechanical facilities.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
Maybe you would get more significant answers with fablab instead of hacker space...?

Thanks for the tip. As always, search results depend on the chosen key word but that is not one I would have guessed. Seems there are 21 Fab Labs in the UK but none anywhere near me. Ho hum.

Thanks

Ian

There's a very cool one in Chicago, about an hour from me. I'd get involved if it was closer. Might have to take a crack at starting my own up here in the northern Chicago burbs.

Here it's closely tied into the University.  A lot of subset groups are spawning from it already...  really cool stuff.  Bringing the Arts and Engineering departments together and just watching things happen.

I just signed up for an Arduino/embedded solutions class taught by a PHD EE for $40 thanks to the Maker Place club.  I don't attend the university, it's completely open to the public.

Latest posts

Back